1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When you bathe your birds before a show......

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kryptoniteqhs, Mar 15, 2009.

1. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    Do they normally act completely lifeless afterwards? My cockerel was and then perked up in about 15 min and was fine. I have 3 pullets right now that act like theyve been so traumatized that they are in shock and may die of a heart attack......normal?

2. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    well...they seem ok now...i gave them each some nutri-drench for the stress and as soon as i set them down, they perked right up and are now standing instead of laying on their sides.

3. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    Whenever I give my Silkies baths, they love it. When I blow dry them, they go to sleep. I think it just takes a few minutes for them to adjust.

4. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    ours just stand there like yours do, they don't like baths...we wash them a few days before the show so the feathers have time to smooth back out.

5. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Yeah, they hate it! lol. They get used to it over time, but the first few baths are torture to them! Tamer birds respond less negatively. Keep them tame and they just make a fuss, they won't freak out of their minds. And it is very possible for them to suffer a heart attack in the process, but that's not that common and usually happens with heavy breeds (like Cornish).

6. ravencreek

ravencreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Benton TN
    How exactly do you wash a chicken? *Ponders to herself*

7. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Quote:I take mine in the shower. [​IMG]

8. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Ours are fine afterwards and love to be blow-dryed.

9. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    we use three 5 gallon buckets filled 1/2 way with warm water. The first bucket has a little bit of cheer laundry soap, the second has a touch of vinegar and the 3rd is just water. We just dunk up and down in each bucket keeping the head above the water and put them in the basement under a heat lamp to dry.

10. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by