When you find out that you have roos...

JakRat

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Dover
Now what?

I have possibly up to four roos now! Very frustrating since I was told that they were all females. So what do I do now. I can try to find homes for them, but how do you go about that? Does craigslist work? Does the auction part on here work? I feel like there should be a section here for re-homing chickens/roosters. If I had more land and not so near neighbors I would totally have a rooster sanctuary. Any ideas???

Out of my twelve chicks, four were roosters. I feel your pain. We found someone who wanted them on Craigslist fairly easily. I replaced them with similarly aged layers a friend wanted to get rid of so it worked out. --Vivienne

Hi! I would wait until I was 100% sure before I re-homed them. After all, you wouldn't want to sell a hen, right? With my luck, I'd be giving away the pullets! haha But I have used Craigslist with great success. I've heard that livestock auctions are good too, although I've never tried that. CL is just easier because someone comes and gets them, and the auctions near me are usually on a week day, and I'm always working.

I raised 9 "pullets" last year, in reality they were ALL roos....
I sold 8 at the local sale barn, the last one a friend took in.

You can try Craigs list...or post a sign at your local feed store?
Good luck...!

Quote:
That is soooo frustrating!!!

One for sure I know is a roo, he hasnt crowed yet but he certainly looks like one. He is a bantam porcelain d'uccle. Super neat looking too.

Quote:
The livestock auction near me is kinda creepy so I would probably do craigslist. I would much prefer some one on here to take them as I know that they would get a good home.

I've never had any luck selling roosters on Craigslist or otherwise, so ours go in the freezer. Doesn't make any sense to me to give them away to someone who will likely just do the same.

Quote:
That's how I look at it, too. Everybody has extra roosters, why give them away for someone to eat when we could eat them ourselves? They taste better than anything you can buy in a store, and you know what they've been eating and how they've been treated.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom