When you mixed an Ameraucana with a brown egg layer, what did you get? Show us :>

oscartame

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 27, 2014
hello everbody! I'm curious. When you mixed an ameraucana or easter egger with a brown or even white egg layer, what did you get from the mix? What egg colour did the hens end up laying?

Upload pictures of your chicks and birds if you have any. :>

No photos, just a blanket statement:

You mix an Ameraucana (any color) with a white Leghorn, you will get a white bird with some color leakage (depends on the color of the Ameraucana) that lays blue eggs. No exceptions.

You mix an Ameraucana with a standard breed color it's pretty easy to figure out what the offspring will look like. A Blue Ameraucana crossed with a Blue Copper Marans will get you Blue, Black, and Splash olive eggers.

Have you ever seen the chicken color calculator? You can plug in your chickens' colors and know what the result will be as long as they are standard colors (not mutts). Here's the calculator: http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html

An Ameraucana crossed with a white egg layer will give you offspring that lay blue eggs. An Ameraucana crossed with a brown egg layer will give you offspring that lay some shade of green eggs.

Last edited:
Hi walkingonsunshine!

Thanks for posting on my thread. That is great information. that calculator is amazing. thank you so much for sharing.

the one on the left is my ameraucana/blue laced red Wyandotte and the one of the right is my pure ameraucana.
Both lay light blue eggs! I read that a brown egger and a blue egger laid green. But apparently that is not always true.

Attachments

• 9CF212F6-8927-42FF-BFD6-F8B73508E8F4.jpeg
    9CF212F6-8927-42FF-BFD6-F8B73508E8F4.jpeg
    677.4 KB · Views: 21
No photos, just a blanket statement:

You mix an Ameraucana (any color) with a white Leghorn, you will get a white bird with some color leakage (depends on the color of the Ameraucana) that lays blue eggs. No exceptions.

You mix an Ameraucana with a standard breed color it's pretty easy to figure out what the offspring will look like. A Blue Ameraucana crossed with a Blue Copper Marans will get you Blue, Black, and Splash olive eggers.

Have you ever seen the chicken color calculator? You can plug in your chickens' colors and know what the result will be as long as they are standard colors (not mutts). Here's the calculator: http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html

An Ameraucana crossed with a white egg layer will give you offspring that lay blue eggs. An Ameraucana crossed with a brown egg layer will give you offspring that lay some shade of green eggs.
Great information. We have several pure breeds from a hatchery and one home grown one that just started laying dark olive green eggs. Now we have a pretty good idea who the parents are. Not 100% sure though because if we are right on who her parents are, she is a tad smaller than one would expect.

Back
Top Bottom