When you trap a predator...how do you dispose?

In Sacramento County, we have a Federal Trapper assigned to our area. That may be true for other counties, also. For a small fee they will set a trap then come and dispose of the animal. i believe it is illegal to relocate here, so i am assuming they would shoot the animal on our property. i have talked to our local trapper but have never engaged his services. i am fine shooting a rat with a pellet gun, but not sure i have it in me to shoot anything larger. Glad to have the resource so someone else can do the dirty work that i am too chicken to handle.

Maybe you can do a google search on "Federal Trapper" for your county.

Good luck!

Quote:
I use these a lot but you have to know what else is around before you use one there are ways to set them so they only catch the target you are after

Quote:
Female, total lover of animals, never killed a thing larger than a spider in my life. I think I'll do as some suggest and get a paint gun and just scare the suckers from my yard.

women kill animals to thats who killed and cooked the chickens back when there were no stores. this drowning animals thing thats so wrong. if your going to kill something kill them as humane and as quick as possible. I love animals there so sweet and great to pet and love on. just like hunting them to.

Last edited:
Quote:
you can scare them for the moment... but they'll be back...

If they learn to associate humans and certain areas with pain from a paintgun it might be a successful deterrent. Would be even more effective if you have the pepper ball paintballs. Some city police are doing that in areas with high coyote populations to instill fear of humans.

That being said, if I ever lose a bird to a raccoon or other predator, I will kill it. I will sit outside with my 22 all night if i have to.

i see im not the only one . try geese to protect your flock it works great for me haven't lost a chicken to a predator since i got them 2 1/2 years ago

I rarely actively trap because I don't like killing animals that are doing what they do to survive. I have found prevention is the key to success in poultry keeping- sturdy coop, sound run, electric fencing, supervised free-range time, and night time lock up. Still, there are times when a predator will become a problem and trapping becomes necessary. Body grip traps are lethal, so you don't have to deal with shooting/drowning/gassing your problem. Watch your fingers, though! Setting them incorrectly/unsafely can cost you dearly. If you choose to use a live trap then you must be prepared to kill the predator once you have caught it. Relocation is illegal in most areas and carries a hefty fine if you are caught. (Funny enough- in NH relocation is not only perfectly legal, but it is encouraged by F&G. I have chewed them out a few times for what I see as an egregious policy.) The execution method considered to be one of the most humane is the method mentioned earlier in the thread- gassing using your car exhaust/carbon monoxide. (I could include a link supporting this claim if you like.) Once the predator is dead you can dispose of it pretty easily- double bagged and put in your trash, compost pile, fairly deep hole, or just tossed into a nearby (like within 200 feet of where it was taken) forested area to feed the local scavengers.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Most areas won't allow firearms discharge, even if it is molesting your chickens. If you have a well built coop it won't be a problem. However, you may not be 'sure' if you could kill one with a baseball bat, then wait till it rips up your favorite bird...tell us what you are capable of then. Once you have that secure coop and lock it up well at night, you won't have to worry about it.

Quote:
A few weeks ago I did some research on euthanasia and found some articles that had more than you would ever want to know about the subject:

From Recommendations for euthanasia of experimental animals: Part 1:

Carbon monoxide from petrol engine exhaust is highly irritant to respiratory tissues. To be considered for use in euthanasia, it must be cooled through a water chamber and filtered, using a scrubber unit, in order to remove the various oxides of nitrogen and hydrocarbons, oxygenates of hydrocarbons and carbon particles. Under no circumstances should exhaust from diesel engines be used. Only commercial CO is recommended. The animals should only be introduced into the chamber after it has been filled with a concentration of CO of at least 6% by volume, supplied by a source of 100% co. As it is extremely noxious and also dangerous to the operator because it is not detectable, it should only be used in an appropriate gas scavenging apparatus taking extreme care. Carbon monoxide monitors should be installed in the room.

One recurring theme is that almost every method you would think would be fairly painless is apparently not...

It turned out not to be an issue for me as the varmints were too well-fed to go into my trap so I'm shooting at them now.​

Quote:
A few weeks ago I did some research on euthanasia and found some articles that had more than you would ever want to know about the subject:

From Recommendations for euthanasia of experimental animals: Part 1:

Carbon monoxide from petrol engine exhaust is highly irritant to respiratory tissues. To be considered for use in euthanasia, it must be cooled through a water chamber and filtered, using a scrubber unit, in order to remove the various oxides of nitrogen and hydrocarbons, oxygenates of hydrocarbons and carbon particles. Under no circumstances should exhaust from diesel engines be used. Only commercial CO is recommended. The animals should only be introduced into the chamber after it has been filled with a concentration of CO of at least 6% by volume, supplied by a source of 100% co. As it is extremely noxious and also dangerous to the operator because it is not detectable, it should only be used in an appropriate gas scavenging apparatus taking extreme care. Carbon monoxide monitors should be installed in the room.

One recurring theme is that almost every method you would think would be fairly painless is apparently not...

It turned out not to be an issue for me as the varmints were too well-fed to go into my trap so I'm shooting at them now.​

Thats the best way!!!

Are you concerned with predator problems during the day, with free range chickens? If your main concern is problems with racoons at night or while the chickens are locked up, just build predator proof housing. It saves a lot of time and trouble.

Now, if you have daytime problems with free range chickens, you need to do something else. Our dogs take care of that for us.

Body grip traps will kill a coon if it is big enough - but there is no second chance if a dog gets into it - may states make it illegal to place a body grip trap on land - only in the water - I read about guys losing their hunting dog when they got into such a trap - I use them for muskrats, mink and such -

Back
Top Bottom