1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When your storing eggs for hatching do you put them point up?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Krodsorin, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Krodsorin

Krodsorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2009
    Wyee
    When your storing eggs for hatching do you put them point up in a carton or point down?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    don't wash, angled point down, 50 degrees, turn to a different angle two to three times a day.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Fat end up, even when you aren't hatching them. It's a BYC rule [​IMG]

Or at least you'd think it was, as many of us do it.
    I've never had a broody and I don't own a 'bator, but I put EVERY egg in the carton with the fat end up, thanks to BYC! [​IMG]

4. RonnieAtkeson

RonnieAtkeson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2008
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    I put them on the counter in an egg carton. I put something under one end to tilt the carton and rotate it a few times a day to turn the eggs. Ive also had eggs sitting on there side for a week without being turned and still got 19 out of 20 eggs. Even though I rotate them I dont belive its necessary until there in a bator.

5. boxermom

boxermom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    Quote:Me too. [​IMG] I started this with my family right away, so we are ALL in the habit.

6. BBK

BBK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    ok...did that. Didn't know it was a BYC rule tho...lol [​IMG]

next step, if they're dirty, don't wash....so, just wipe what you can get off?

and one more question...I know that the pourous eggs are not good to hatch, but what about the smooth eggs with spots. i have a silkies egg, it's smooth but i see there's spots on it, or do you consider this to be pourous? it's not rough to the touch, tho.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but the pointy question was one of mine too..thanks for starting this post.

Melinda [​IMG]

7. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    I do that too. Egg carton, fat end up, tilted on a book on one side, and tilt the other way 3-4x a day. Until going into the bator- on auto turner.

Quote:

8. RonnieAtkeson

RonnieAtkeson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2008
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    BBk, unless your just hurting for room id toss that silkie egg in there. If you candle it and it looks ok give it a chance. Smooth with some colour spots? I dont see what it could hurt, if its fertile, it should grow.

9. BBK

BBK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    RonnieAtkeson
    Yesterday 8:09 pm BBk, unless your just hurting for room id toss that silkie egg in there. If you candle it and it looks ok give it a chance. Smooth with some colour spots? I dont see what it could hurt, if its fertile, it should grow.

Ok...i'll try it...thanks

melinda​

10. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I store eggs on egg turners(the one for the hova-bators incubators), in a dark(away from sunlight) and cool place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by