When your storing eggs for hatching do you put them point up?

Fat end up, even when you aren't hatching them. It's a BYC rule
tongue.png

Or at least you'd think it was, as many of us do it.
I've never had a broody and I don't own a 'bator, but I put EVERY egg in the carton with the fat end up, thanks to BYC!
gig.gif

I put them on the counter in an egg carton. I put something under one end to tilt the carton and rotate it a few times a day to turn the eggs. Ive also had eggs sitting on there side for a week without being turned and still got 19 out of 20 eggs. Even though I rotate them I dont belive its necessary until there in a bator.

ok...did that. Didn't know it was a BYC rule tho...lol
gig.gif

next step, if they're dirty, don't wash....so, just wipe what you can get off?

and one more question...I know that the pourous eggs are not good to hatch, but what about the smooth eggs with spots. i have a silkies egg, it's smooth but i see there's spots on it, or do you consider this to be pourous? it's not rough to the touch, tho.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but the pointy question was one of mine too..thanks for starting this post.

Melinda
yippiechickie.gif

I do that too. Egg carton, fat end up, tilted on a book on one side, and tilt the other way 3-4x a day. Until going into the bator- on auto turner.

Quote:

BBk, unless your just hurting for room id toss that silkie egg in there. If you candle it and it looks ok give it a chance. Smooth with some colour spots? I dont see what it could hurt, if its fertile, it should grow.

RonnieAtkeson
Yesterday 8:09 pm BBk, unless your just hurting for room id toss that silkie egg in there. If you candle it and it looks ok give it a chance. Smooth with some colour spots? I dont see what it could hurt, if its fertile, it should grow.

Ok...i'll try it...thanks

melinda​

Back
Top Bottom