When?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Saroco, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Saroco

Saroco Chillin' With My Peeps

So, when do chickens generaly start laying, and when is the VERY EARLIEST someone has ever gotton an egg?

My girls are 3 and a half months old. Has anyone ever got an egg that early?

2. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    My RIR started at 23 weeks, Barred Rock at 26.....Speckled Sussex, GLW and Australorp some where in that time too. It took til 28 weeks to get 5 eggs from 5 hens.

3. MrsPinkKitty

MrsPinkKitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    Mine havent stoped laying..but if they want to go broody i let them ... [​IMG]

4. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    My GSL started laying at 16 weeks, my BOs didn't start untill they were 20 weeks.

5. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

I had an EE lay her first egg at 15 weeks.

6. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

My leghorn started at 17 wks and she's still at even with less daylight and our unusual freezing snaps. Everyone else quit in mid Dec.

7. Ali707

Ali707 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Magnolia, TX
    Well I am right there with you waiting and wondering. I have read enough on here to know that there is no for sure date for any breed. I have two EE's and 1 Australorp that are 22 weeks tomorrow. Nothin....... I also have one RS, 2 Silkies, another Australorp, a Welsummer, 2 bantam EE's, 1 Salmon Faverole, and 1 Polish that are 19 weeks. I am hoping that one will lay soon as their combs are getting redder on some of them. I don't think I completely understand the squatting thing people are saying is a sign, or when it happens......?

8. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Most of my EEs were slow to get started - over 20 weeks, in the fall. They laid small eggs, infrequently. A few months later, they're laying up a storm of good sized eggs almost daily. My sex-links and Barred Rock were right around 18 weeks - in December. They got up to full steam almost immediately. I just had the one EE start laying really early.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  9. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    They will lay when they are ready and no sooner. It is usually around 22 weeks here.

10. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    One of my RIR took about 3-4 months, my oldest... probably like 6 =P

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by