Whens He Going To Start Crowing And Acting Like A Rooster

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by lcw1995, Jan 29, 2012.

1. lcw1995

lcw1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    I Hatched A Chick Back On Aug 26th
    Shouldnt He Be Crowing Or Mating Or Starting To Act Like A Rooster By Now
    If Not Now How Much Longer Do I Have To Wait
    I Mean There Isint A Big Rush I Just Want Him To Start Crowing And Mating And Fill Out
    Hes Still All Legs
    Thanks
    Cole

2. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

My chicks started crowing at a pretty early age. I think they all have different times of maturing. My Silkie rooster acted like a huge chick. He was just starting to crow in this picture.

[​IMG]

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

My boy didn't start crowing until he was 6 months old. Some start earlier than others.

4. gamelife

gamelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    California
    Does he have any pullets/hens with him? This might make him man up. Or maybe he's just slow to mature. Sometimes a mature hen will make a young roo mature faster.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  5. lcw1995

lcw1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    yeah hes got 5 hens with him and 3 other roosters but i think hes at the bottom of the pecking order so maybe that has something to do with it...

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    He is most likely the lowest ranking guy, and by keeping his mouth shut he's learning to get along with the group. One day he may challenge the others, settle the differences between them, and get to crowing like he should. You might want to consider getting more hens as your hen to rooster ratio is a bit askew.

7. chickathon

chickathon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    West Virginia
    I have a dominique roo that hatched on August the 24th. He just crowed for the first time this morning! I was wondering the same thing just yesterday. So, it'll be any day now. I do have a buff brahma standard that might be a roo that was hatched on the 20th of June and still not a peep so far. So, I still am left wondering.

8. snooptwomey

snooptwomey Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Newark, DE
    My ameracauna roo took 6 months to crow, and the same week started mating with my hens. HE is now almost 7 months and still growing

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I have to agree with TheOldChick. Three roos to five hens is way too much. Each boy should have at least 5 hens, if not more. I have 15 girls and 2 boys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by