where and how to feel for egg still inside hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gingerpeach22, Jan 23, 2011.

1. gingerpeach22

gingerpeach22 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Fairbanks
    I can feel a soft bulge lower than her vent slightly to one side. I do not know if she lays eggs (9 month Australorp whose sisters have laid for long time). She often acts distressed while looking for a play to lay eggs, hopping in and out of boxes, into corners, under my arm when I'm sitting on floor, running here and there while squawking.
    Is that where I would feel a firm bulge before a normal egg is laid?

2. cannonball

cannonball New Egg

Dec 23, 2014
    Wish someone would answer I have a hen doing exact same thing. I have been able to feel the egg for three days

3. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    Two methods I use:

1. Hold hen feet up, cradled in your arm (or have a helper do it). Gently feel in either side of the vent, like you're pinching someone's cheek.

2. More reliable method, glove your hand and generously apply KY or another lubricant. Insert your pinky (or other finger if you have small hands) 1-2 inches inside the vent. If she's egg bound you should be able to feel the egg. I think there are pics and/or videos of this if you google it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by