Where are my babies???!!! They are here only 3 DOA

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LoneCowboy, Jul 2, 2008.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    [​IMG]I'm worried, I live so close to Denver (a main hub) that I never worry about ordering chicks, because they always get here in less than 24 hours from shipping. They always call me from the sort center as soon as they get there and I go get them.

It's been that way with both MMH, and Ideal, this time I'm trying Meyer and they shipped on Monday and they aren't here. It's really hot and I have 100 chicks coming. I'm worried for their health. I sure hope they get here soon [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Any news?

3. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    I would call Meyer and try to find out exactly when they shipped and get a tracking number. Did you insure them? Call the PO this afternoon as most get a late day shipment as well as a morning one. Keep calling them and make sure they do have your number on the desk to call ASAP when they come in. I know that my shipment sat inthe PO for 7 hours because they got put on someone's desk and everbody thought that everyone else had called so noone called me until I called them repeatedly. Hopefully they will be calling you soon to say they are here.

4. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    This stinks!!! Any news yet? It is very hot today :mad:

5. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    No, no news. I always get a call from the sort center, and I've done searches, and can't get the number for them. [​IMG]

I called Meyer and they said they shipped Monday and that they should be here today or tomorrow. Now I've been called at 9pm on a Sunday night from the sort center so I know they call.

I'm just sick. I have people wanting their chicks and I'm afraid they'll all be dead by the time I get them. [​IMG]

I wouldn't be so worried in the winter, but in this heat and this long I worry about them dehydrating. I have to tell you, this is worse than hatching.

6. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Hey D, anything?

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

What a nightmare! Hope they show up tomorrow. If not, I dont hold out much hope for them.

8. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    No, still no chicky butts. I did call my local PO and got the number of the sort center. I called them and asked if any chicks had come in. He said he didn't think so but would go check. Well, I guess he got distracted because he never came back to the phone. I'm just SICK! People have been calling all day wanting their chicks and they aren't here. [​IMG]

But, I did hear some interesting news today. I guess there has been a huge run on chicks this year and the hatcheries wheren't prepared for it. I guess sales have gone up 400% and 500% for some breeds. So the wait is really long.

Right now, I'd be really happy if they called me at 9pm like they did last time. I'd run get them again.

I guess if they come in half dead then it would cover my butt because I way over sold this shipment. I always get screwed by somebody so I don't worry too much. But I could say, sorry yours' died [​IMG] Ok, that's not really funny, but I thought I'd try a little humor to see if I felt better about it.... Hum, no don't feel better.

9. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Oh my,that is terrible news. I hope the little things make it. Keep us up dated.

10. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    LoneCowboy - I'm sorry to hear your chicks aren't here yet. It doesn't sound good considering how close you are to the major hubs for delivery and, like you said, this heat.

Let us know when they arrive. I hope they are all Ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by