1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where are my eggs? *update*

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lurky, Jun 10, 2008.

1. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I know that nobody can know for sure, but maybe someone has had this happen to them. My bantam coop is more open and no eggs missing.....in fact a few broodies began to lay again so there were 2 more than usual. My standard hens coop and run are very tight. I even doubled the wire so the chicks could not get as i was letting the hens raise their own chicks. The run is covered and fully enclosed. All the birds are fine....but there was not ONE SINGLE EGG in the nest box or anywhere in the run. I have 9 hens in there and i cannot believe for a second that they all took a day off [​IMG] So we have suspected a rat for 2 months but have not caught one. We have a regular chipmunk that goes in to eat the food off the ground, but thats it. A possible rat and a definate chippy. I wonder if my hens learned how to eat eggs today, wouldn't there be a mess so i would know? [​IMG] ANYONE???????

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  2. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    i dont know..but the heat has been terrible here and my bantams havent been laying at all..and thats bad because im supposed to be shipping out eggs but i cant make them lay them

3. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Mine have quit laying also. Maybe one egg a day and mostly none for the last week. It must be the temps!

Jacie

4. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I set out a hav-a-hart trap with PB and an egg on top tonight [​IMG]
    You dont think its odd that the bantams lay more eggs and the big ones just quit all in one day? They are VERY shaded and i gave them fresh ice water and watermelon all through this [​IMG] Did all your birds stop just like that? no slow down?

5. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    I am JUST guessing here....but it might be that the bantams, having less mass and less feather insulation, may not be as affected by the heat as the big guys. It's possible, anyway!

6. bantamman13

bantamman13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    It is probably the heat as mine have slowed way down and several have went broody in this heat. Although last year I was not getting many eggs out of 1 nest and finally caught a RIR hen eating a egg and she was hardly leaving any sign of doing so. I would have never thought they could eat a egg and leave no visible signs except a little liquid that dried up quickly but she was doing it.

7. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Mine have all doors and windows open in the coop. A fan in the coop, a turbo on top to take out hot air, ice chunks in the waterers and a mister in the runs and they still just quit laying! The hottest it's been here is 103 but it's a dry heat! LOL! Dry or wet, it's still hot! [​IMG]

8. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Thanks for the answers. I was really sure you all would have said the rat (the one i cant see or catch [​IMG] )
    But i think the heat wins it. I think it makes sense too that the bantams may be less affected by being smaller.

9. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    A rat most likely would have left egg shell laying around.
    Its been HOT!!! here for weeks now and my 2 that are laying haven't slowed down at all. Still 2 eggs each and every day. What I find unusual though is my chickens won't touch greens now. I feed them some kind of greens everyday and they'd flip for them. Now they won't touch them. Could be that I'm letting them out for 3 or 4 hours in the evenings?? hmmmmmm......

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  10. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    So today when i got home from work i found 13 egss in my standards coop. since i only have 9 layer in the standards i guess i must have had a bunch that were laying last night after the head let up (or the WICKED T-storm scared it out of them) and then some layed a second this afternoon. It still seems odd that it worked out that way for all of them, but at least it was not a rat [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by