Where are the eggs?!

MadChicken98

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 23, 2012
My hens have just started laying there eggs. I'm new to the chicken raising, I have just started this year. My chickens are free ranged but have a coop built for them that they like to sleep in. I'm concerned that they have found a place out side to lay during the day. They only seem to lay if they are left in the coop all day because of weather. Is this possible? Any tips on finding there out side laying spot, if it is?

It's absolutely possible and if they're usually free range, it's also likely. They probably have multiple laying spots, too. The only thing you can do is watch them and see where they go and hunt your property regularly to collect the eggs before something else does (and to ensure freshness!).

Haha ok, i guess it's time for a little egg huntin' then! I just hope I find them
fl.gif
Thank You!

I would also try letting them out later, that way the will get used to their nesting boxes,
You might have to try placing a fake egg, and setting them in it, so they become familiar. I had to put a planter pot on my chickens floor, I had some who would rather lay on the floor instead of the nesting boxes! :p

Haha ok I will look for a fake egg to put in the coop. I'm scared that my dogs have been eating the eggs as they are being layed because they follow the chickens around while there are out and they we don't get eggs. I have had no luck finding the eggs out side either.
barnie.gif
how knew laying an egg could be so hard!

Back
Top Bottom