Where are these tiny eggs coming from?? *Updated with a picture*

Mom2Munchkins

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
Upstate NY
The past three days, I have gotten a tiny duck egg. It is about the size of a bantam chicken egg... I have 3 pekin hens that each give me a normal egg a day. And then I have 5 10 week olds. They can't be laying right?? There's also a brown unknown breed duck in there. Do you think maybe it could be her? She is way smaller than the pekins...

I guess my question is, a 10 week old can't lay an egg under any circumstance right??

This is the brown one, maybe 6 weeks ago... She hasn't grown or anything...
017-6.jpg

Last edited:
I agree... little brown duck. Also, I have a flock of mixed ducks and three are female. I have got a few small eggs. they are usaully in the yard like the duck didnt' eve realize they layed them. lol. I didn't worry much and it never has been a problem... but more a curiousity.

the first egg my hen ever laid, broke. after that the first few were tiny compared to the rest. the first 2 she laid were not fertile. but you could always wait to candle and see
big_smile.png

the brown duck looks like one of my little ducks I hatched about 8 wks ago and she is pekin and choc runner mix. She has white on her neck and white on her breast she is a fatty on the back end tho a cute fat duck butt LOL.
smile.png
The runners I have some are quite small and they are adults and they still lay eggs the size of chicken eggs ( small chicken eggs). Now the runners are a year old their eggs are growing a bit like a large chicken eggs now. But my older black runners lar huge green eggs like a duck size egg. My blue runners are the small one's they are the mallard size really small and their eggs are white and smaller than the green eggs.

Last edited:
Ok, so I continue to get one of these eggs almost daily... I threw a few in the incubator, and some do have veining.... So either this is the brown duck (I had no idea her eggs would be so small) or a chicken has been laying eggs in there too?? I don't know.... Sure hope they hatch so I can find out! I have had terrible hatches this year, so we'll see!

My ducks produced some cute little eggs when they first started laying. They also produced some huge eggs - three yolkers. I was told it was normal for them to lay different sized eggs at first. They are fairly uniform now - haven't seen any weird sized ones. The very small ones didn't even have a yolk in them.

Back
Top Bottom