1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Where are these tiny eggs coming from?? *Updated with a picture*

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mom2Munchkins, May 21, 2010.

1. Mom2Munchkins

Mom2Munchkins Songster

Mar 2, 2009
    Upstate NY
    The past three days, I have gotten a tiny duck egg. It is about the size of a bantam chicken egg... I have 3 pekin hens that each give me a normal egg a day. And then I have 5 10 week olds. They can't be laying right?? There's also a brown unknown breed duck in there. Do you think maybe it could be her? She is way smaller than the pekins...

I guess my question is, a 10 week old can't lay an egg under any circumstance right??

This is the brown one, maybe 6 weeks ago... She hasn't grown or anything...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  2. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    No, I'm almost certain it wouldnt be the 10 week olds. Its got to be the little brown hen.

3. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    I agree... little brown duck. Also, I have a flock of mixed ducks and three are female. I have got a few small eggs. they are usaully in the yard like the duck didnt' eve realize they layed them. lol. I didn't worry much and it never has been a problem... but more a curiousity.

4. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Maybe its a mixed call?

5. Mom2Munchkins

Mom2Munchkins Songster

Mar 2, 2009
    Upstate NY
    So is this typical of ducks when they first start laying?? Are they fertile? 4th day in a row I got one, no bigger then the first...

6. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    the first egg my hen ever laid, broke. after that the first few were tiny compared to the rest. the first 2 she laid were not fertile. but you could always wait to candle and see [​IMG]

7. spamee34

spamee34 Songster

Apr 17, 2009
    East Texas
    the brown duck looks like one of my little ducks I hatched about 8 wks ago and she is pekin and choc runner mix. She has white on her neck and white on her breast she is a fatty on the back end tho a cute fat duck butt LOL. [​IMG] The runners I have some are quite small and they are adults and they still lay eggs the size of chicken eggs ( small chicken eggs). Now the runners are a year old their eggs are growing a bit like a large chicken eggs now. But my older black runners lar huge green eggs like a duck size egg. My blue runners are the small one's they are the mallard size really small and their eggs are white and smaller than the green eggs.

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  8. Mom2Munchkins

Mom2Munchkins Songster

Mar 2, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Quote:Could I see a pic of yours?? [​IMG]

9. Mom2Munchkins

Mom2Munchkins Songster

Mar 2, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Ok, so I continue to get one of these eggs almost daily... I threw a few in the incubator, and some do have veining.... So either this is the brown duck (I had no idea her eggs would be so small) or a chicken has been laying eggs in there too?? I don't know.... Sure hope they hatch so I can find out! I have had terrible hatches this year, so we'll see!

10. tia

tia Songster 9 Years

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    My ducks produced some cute little eggs when they first started laying. They also produced some huge eggs - three yolkers. I was told it was normal for them to lay different sized eggs at first. They are fairly uniform now - haven't seen any weird sized ones. The very small ones didn't even have a yolk in them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: