Where can I buy California Quail?

BettyBeekeeper

Hatching
8 Years
May 26, 2011
Hi people who know more than me!

I'm hatching a plan (hatching...heh...get it?) to raise quail in Northern California (suburban San Jose), and am having a hard time finding sources for live California Quail or fertile eggs. Any ideas? I prefer to drive and pick them up if they're chicks.

Been looking at quail pen/coop designs & don't like any of them. Cramming a dozen birds in a plain wire cage indoors doesn't sit well with me. I want the quail to have a mix of places to hang out, from a sunny dirt patch, to a protected "tree" roost, places to hide & all of it fairly easy to care for since I'm disabled. I wanted chickens, but I'm afraid they'll eat my organic heirloom/rare plant seedling project & honeybees. I'd like it mostly up off the ground a few feet to save my back, with oil pans slid underneath to collect droppings for my compost. I also like the idea of a PVC pipe watering tray that hangs on the outside, has small slots for them to poke their head through & drink, and a pond pump to keep the water circulating through to a big plastic garbage can resevoir. I also want to be able to slide dividers between sections to corral them into a smaller area for easier catching or to separate warring parties. I have (over-ambitious) plans to grow as much of their food as possible & try to keep their diet as close to what they'd eat in the wild. That includes raising mealworms or some other bug for wiggly protein treats.

What do you think? Am I California quail dreaming? Mostly I just want to know where to get them.

Peace,

Betty Beekeeper,
Bad Kitty Micro-Farm
San Jose, CA

have you had any quail before? and
welcome-byc.gif

No, I have not had quail before. Just been reading a lot about them. And I was a vet tech for 7yrs (UCDavis).

if i were you i would start with bobs, a lot less maitnence, but if you have your heart set on cali's i know a breeder out of washington that just hatched a few hundred so if you cant find any one closer pm me and i will get you thier contact info

If you have never had any quail, you had best start off with "beginner quail". Not being ugly about it or doubting your abilities but quail are a lot more trouble than people realise. Get some cortournix and work up from there or some buttons maybe. Decide if you even like quail before you go spending some pretty serious cash for more expensive varieties.
I had spotted mexican quail for my break ins and they were a hand full!!!!!
th.gif

I started out with California quail and did fine. The only problem I had back then was aggression between my birds, but if you give them a big enough cage that won't be an issue . If you are set on California quail, I think you should go for it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! Being in California, I kind of wanted CA quail, but I guess it doesn't really matter. They're all tasty eats. I'd rather not have aggressive birds, and a friendlier breed that's not so flighty would help them win over my skeptical landlady (she is a HUGE bird lover). But I do need good meat birds. Anyhoo... thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom