Where can i buy some blue hen of delaware chickens?

I saw that you and a couple of other people are trying to track down original blue hen of Delaware as well , I have tracked them down to on breeder and he is the last person breeding them . After he sells the last of his stock to me I am going to breed them and try to get and APA recognition for the breed . But if anyone else is interested just private message me .

The University of Delaware Agricultural Extension also breeds and releases eggs each spring, and some of the eggs are Delaware Blues. I had two - one male, one female - last spring. The male was extremely aggressive and I traded him to a friend with a farm and a bossy Blue (from the same source) who could handle him. The UD Extension does breed pure-bred lines for research purposes, and these come from that via the 4-H program. My understanding is that this is probably the largest population and source of Blue Hens anywhere. (UD's mascot is the Blue Hen and they have a vested interest in maintaining the line. It's not a recognized breed, though, and they were bred for fighting, so they tend to be very beautiful but very mean birds and I don't think there are really "rules" for breeding to maintain the line. I don't know how they do it.)

Yes the university does breed them believe me I checked. I have probably talked to Dr. Bob Alphin for an hour on the phone not to mention Karen Gouge the poultry farm manager and at one point the university crossed the original blue hen of Delaware with Blue Andalusians to get a more blue bird . I have tracked down one of the last sources of the original type and after I get some they will get out of breeding them I will be getting stock and I will be preserving the breed and will offer them for sale in a few months so if you are looking for some of the last original type blue hen of Delaware please don't hesitate to private message me.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in the new blue hen of Delaware line that has Andalusian blood in them but recently was out crossed to the original type? It will be a while on the original pure strain but I was just curious if anyone is interested in the other strain.

Last edited:
Hi! Newark DE here and a Blue Hen '96! I have 2 blue hens that came from U of D. One is more blue and the other is more dilute/mottled...so they are probably the crosses. I have not had any problems with aggression but boy can they "talk"!. The hens are super friendly and inquisitive. I would be interested in either the pure or the cross as you have them available.

Anyone selling any young hens or eggs? (I can't have Roos in my area.) I would be interested in adding a few to my flock! Crosses are welcome!

The originals were Hennies. Nobody has anything remotely related to or resembling the hen feathered cocks of Civil War fame.

Back
Top Bottom