Where can I find Silkied varieties of rare, or uncommon breeds.

It does semm like the best way to increase numbers, but @dheltzel has said they are almost always more fragile compared to their normal relatives. @dheltzel no longer breeds for them, but still has them pop up from time to time. They also seem to be fragile no matter what you do. This has caused some speculation that the silkie mutation in Ameraucanas is connected to or is a lethal gene, kinda-of like how 2 frizzle genes creates a frazzle chicken with problems
Never said anything about the fragility. Just that breeding a silkied to a normal of the same breed, be it cochins, ducks or other, seems to be the best way to increase numbers in a very small genepool without directly breeding immediate family to each other.

Phenotypically they look identical, but we don't know genotypically, and we won't find out until someone invents a genetic test for that kind of thing. The only genetic test for chickens is the fibro test. Maybe someone could make a new line of Silkied Ameraucanas, but with the silkie gene from the Cochins. Though it would take forever to get rid of the Cochin attributes
There also genetic testing to see if your bird is a carrier of the blue egg gene. I only know this because I was curious of the price of genetic sex testing for silkies and same place tests for blue genes.

The tough part about that would be keeping the silkie gene while breeding out the cochin's parts.

Phenotypically they look identical, but we don't know genotypically, and we won't find out until someone invents a genetic test for that kind of thing. The only genetic test for chickens is the fibro test. Maybe someone could make a new line of Silkied Ameraucanas, but with the silkie gene from the Cochins. Though it would take forever to get rid of the Cochin attributes
Phenotype is all that matters, at least for showing which is what people generally judge looks based on. There is no such thing as pedigrees or registration for individual chickens to prove they're purebred. If it looks just like a cochin, it's judged as a cochin, even if it's grandparent wasn't a cochin

Never said anything about the fragility. Just that breeding a silkied to a normal of the same breed, be it cochins, ducks or other, seems to be the best way to increase numbers in a very small genepool without directly breeding immediate family to each other.
I know you didn't mention it, but I was saying that others have tried something like this. Only to have the silkied ameraucans to have the same fragility over generations. That is why I said the silkied gene in ameraucans might be connected to a lethal gene. Though they might not, and it depends on the system of breeding each person uses.

And finally, where can I find Silkied Orpingtons.
i-saw-hell-is-whats-happening-oh-my-god.gif

Back
Top Bottom