Where can I find Silkied varieties of rare, or uncommon breeds.

Pics
Jan 18, 2023
Joint Base Andrews, Maryland
I'm wondering where I can find silkied varieties of rarer, or uncommon breeds( not Silkies ).

1. Where can I find Silkied Ameracaunas
  2. Where can I find Silkied Cochins
  3. Where can I find Silkied Ayam Cemanis
  4. Where can I find Silkied Turkens
  5. Where can I find Silkied Wyandottes
  6. And finally, where can I find Silkied Orpingtons.

I can answer number 2, I have tabs on several NPIP farms here in the U.S. with silkied Cochin bantams and have them, myself, as well. 🙂 I can send you some links if you'd like, unless you're outside the U.S.?

Silkied Ameraucanas, those are so hard to find. If you get any leads on them, I'd love to know as well!

Silkied naked necks, also known as Showgirls, aren't too hard to find in my experience. Unless you're looking for silkied naked necks without the other traits of the Silkie breed? This was something I was thinking of working on with my silkied Cochins and a naked neck bantam I have, but was not a priority for me at the moment. I don't know if anyone else is working on something similar.

Someone on ebay apparently has silkied Ayam Cemani. I don't know the username off hand though.

As for silkied Wyandottes and Orpingtons, I haven't heard of those actually existing, unless someone has been working on them quietly. There was someone I believe in New Zealand who had Orpington mixes in which the silkied gene reemerged from their mixed side, and last I heard they were thinking of working toward silkied Orpingtons with those, but of course that doesn't help much if you aren't in New Zealand, unfortunately.

I'm wondering where I can find silkied varieties of rarer, or uncommon breeds( not Silkies ).

1. Where can I find Silkied Ameracaunas
  2. Where can I find Silkied Cochins
  3. Where can I find Silkied Ayam Cemanis
  4. Where can I find Silkied Turkens
  5. Where can I find Silkied Wyandottes
  6. And finally, where can I find Silkied Orpingtons.
Depending on where you are, craigslist may be your best bet. Have you tried looking online for hatching eggs?

I can answer number 2, I have tabs on several NPIP farms here in the U.S. with silkied Cochin bantams and have them, myself, as well. 🙂 I can send you some links if you'd like, unless you're outside the U.S.?

Silkied Ameraucanas, those are so hard to find. If you get any leads on them, I'd love to know as well!

Silkied naked necks, also known as Showgirls, aren't too hard to find in my experience. Unless you're looking for silkied naked necks without the other traits of the Silkie breed? This was something I was thinking of working on with my silkied Cochins and a naked neck bantam I have, but was not a priority for me at the moment. I don't know if anyone else is working on something similar.

Someone on ebay apparently has silkied Ayam Cemani. I don't know the username off hand though.

As for silkied Wyandottes and Orpingtons, I haven't heard of those actually existing, unless someone has been working on them quietly. There was someone I believe in New Zealand who had Orpington mixes in which the silkied gene reemerged from their mixed side, and last I heard they were thinking of working toward silkied Orpingtons with those, but of course that doesn't help much if you aren't in New Zealand, unfortunately.
No, I'm not outside the US. Thank you for offering the links, I would very much like them!

For the Turkens you were right in saying I was looking for naked necks without the silkie traits, and I believe the Showgirls are considered a variety of Silkie.

As for the Ameracaunas I know of one person who has them, but wanted to know if any else had them as well so I could have genetic diversity when I get chickens. This is the link to the breeder. They don't sell them outright, but their line of Lavender Ameraucanas carries the silkie gene. So you have a chance of getting some silkied chicks, and if you don't get chicks you can breed your own. They are called Sandhill preservation center.

To bad that the possible silkied Orpingtons are a world away. Thank you for the information on the ACs and for the links!

Last edited:
Depending on where you are, craigslist may be your best bet. Have you tried looking online for hatching eggs?
THank you, but I don;t think craigslist would be the best option. The breeders from there are most likely going to sell mixed breeds. I'm pretty sure these varieties would be owned and bred by private breeders. Again, Thank you, but I have read a lot about the sketchy birds for sale on craigslist.

THank you, but I don;t think craigslist would be the best option. The breeders from there are most likely going to sell mixed breeds. I'm pretty sure these varieties would be owned and bred by private breeders. Again, Thank you, but I have read a lot about the sketchy birds for sale on craigslist.
Craigslist does have those very sketchy people unfortunately 😅
Best of luck finding your fluff balls!

No, I'm not outside the US. Thank you for offering the links, I would very much like them!

For the Turkens you were right in saying I was looking for naked necks without the silkie traits, and I believe the Showgirls are considered a variety of Silkie.

As for the Ameracaunas I know of one person who has them, but wanted to know if any else had them as well so I could have genetic diversity when I get chickens. This is the link to the breeder. They don't sell them outright, but their line of Lavender Ameraucanas carries the silkie gene. So you have a chance of getting some silkied chicks, and if you don't get chicks you can breed your own. They are called Sandhill preservation center.

To bad that the possible silkied Orpingtons are a world away. Thank you for the information on the ACs and for the links!

Sent you a DM with the links--for the record, I'm happy to send them to anyone else as well, just send me a message! 🙂 I love to see silkied Cochins gaining interest!!

Yes, I think Showgirls are considered a type of Silkie. If you find any silkied NNs without the Silkie traits like Showgirls have, I'd love to hear about them, too! I just love silkied feathering. :love

Ah, you mentioned that about Sandhill on another thread! I'll keep them in mind for the future. I've got to get a secure setup built for Ameraucanas before I can commit to getting any more than a hand full for my mixed flock. I really, really want to preserve them alongside my Cochins, though, as they've became so rare I was getting worried they may just disappear entirely!

Sent you a DM with the links--for the record, I'm happy to send them to anyone else as well, just send me a message! 🙂 I love to see silkied Cochins gaining interest!!

Yes, I think Showgirls are considered a type of Silkie. If you find any silkied NNs without the Silkie traits like Showgirls have, I'd love to hear about them, too! I just love silkied feathering. :love

Ah, you mentioned that about Sandhill on another thread! I'll keep them in mind for the future. I've got to get a secure setup built for Ameraucanas before I can commit to getting any more than a hand full for my mixed flock. I really, really want to preserve them alongside my Cochins, though, as they've became so rare I was getting worried they may just disappear entirely!
There is another breeder of Silkied Ameraucanas. They have a website, called Welbars.com. They have an account here to. They are @dheltzel . They also sell Genetic Hackles, Ayam Cemanis, Welbars, Aztec ducks, and more!

Thank yuo for the links!

Back
Top Bottom