Where can I get a post-death exam to determine cause of death?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Portalguy, Oct 13, 2009.

  1. Portalguy

    Portalguy In the Brooder

    Apr 26, 2009
    Ripton, Vermont

    I am disappointed, no replies to my enquiry of yesterday:


    Today this chicken is listless and declining. Would really like to find out what has caused this.

    How would I find an agency or agricultural vet, competent to do this? I'm trying keyword-searching but not coming up with much.

    The State of Vermont no longer do anything of the kind, thanks to budget cuts and general collapse. I'm pretty sure they have inspectors to come and confiscate my healthy birds though.

    Please advise,
  2. cap1717

    cap1717 6 chooks, 1 slave. . . me!

    Jun 12, 2009
    Look for an Avian Vet in your area. . . tell him/ her you want a necropsy
  3. Nana2KJS

    Nana2KJS Chicks-n-Ahs

    Mar 21, 2009
    SE Kansas
    Have you looked into university services?
  4. ArizonaDesertChicks

    ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

    Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I wish I could help.

    I'd also like to find someone to perform a necropsy on my pullet, but haven't had much luck. The University here that performs necropsies charges $190 and is 2 hours away from us - not going to work.

    I found a vet that is knowledgable about chickens, but they send the chickens out for a necropsy - they send them to the University and charge $200-$300.

    Hopefully, you'll have better luck in Vermont.
  5. Sonoran Silkies

    Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

    Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Most avian vets can do a less extensive necropsy than UofA. It will cost less. My vet, who has very reasonable prices, charged $100 a couple of years ago.

    Call your county extension agent and find outwhat is available through your state agriculture department. You can have to cover the cost, but at least you will know what is available. They may also know of avian vets who will treat poultry.

    Back to treating your bird, oxytetracycline is not the best antibiotic for a respriatory infection. Tylan, gallimycin or baytril are better choices. Baytril requires a prescription. Since you didn't know the proper strength for mixing the oxytetracycline, that may be why it was ineffective--no enough or too much. Many pouches us 1 teaspoon per gallon, but I am not sure for your particular medicine. You can call the manufacturer and ask; a phone number should be on the package.
  6. Barrett Farm

    Barrett Farm In the Brooder

    Jun 8, 2009
    Silicon Valley
    I was trying to retrace my steps, so I could tell you how I found our state office in CA.

    It is not as easy as I thought.

    I went on line to the USDA website. I made a telephone call and spoke to an agent that directed me to the CA Dept USDA State Vet.
    This is what I found, and it might be a good start.

    Albany, NY
    District 65
    States: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont
    Mr. Haroon Mian, District Manager
    230 Washington Ave. Extension
    Albany, NY 12203-5369
    Phone: (518) 452-6870
    FAX: (518) 452-3118
    Emergency 24-Hour: (518) 452-6870, Ext. 250
    Admin. Functions:
    Ms. Linda Kane
    (518) 452-6870

    If these folks can't direct you maybe you will see the link at the USDA webite.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: