Where can I get doxy?

FloridaFlock

Chirping
Jun 8, 2020
Anyone know where I can get doxycycline for chickens? I took one girl to the vet for panting and while she is being treated I do have others who have similar symptoms so I also wanted to treat them but I’m unable to get a script for them without bringing them in. Thank you in advance!

Other info/ I am also de-worming the entire flock (also per others here and vet rec) and have that medication on hand.

Last edited:
You can use this without a script. Since it's a capsule, you'll have to break it open and put the powder in something for the bird to eat. The powder is not water soluble. The granules settle to the bottom.
https://www.chewy.com/fish-aid-antibiotics-doxycycline/dp/185224?utm_id=272259755&msclkid=af899aa4f67e10c33988fadad0c8d914&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping-Product Targets-Hard Goods-NB&utm_term=4585238367840166&utm_content=Fish Fungus Treatments
You can use this without a script. Since it's a capsule, you'll have to break it open and put the powder in something for the bird to eat. The powder is not water soluble. The granules settle to the bottom.
https://www.chewy.com/fish-aid-antibiotics-doxycycline/dp/185224?utm_id=272259755&msclkid=af899aa4f67e10c33988fadad0c8d914&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping-Product Targets-Hard Goods-NB&utm_term=4585238367840166&utm_content=Fish Fungus Treatments
Thank you @dawg53! Have you used this for your ladies with good results? I could probably put it in strawberries or another treat they love. The recommended dose they gave for my 5.13 lb hen was 43.5mg/day for 3 days. I have a float test ordered. I won’t get results for 4 days. I’m not sure if I should wait to give this after I get those results or not. Thoughts? They said the test wouldn’t show gape worm. Without that $200 X-ray and other diagnostic test I think they’re just giving doxy based on the panting symptom, my sudden loss of another bird several days ago and perhaps to appease me. They told me doxy requires I toss the eggs from treated birds for 30 days and 8 weeks if anyone in the household is sensitive to doxy...which I don’t know. I’ll probably just do the 30 day rec.

Last edited:
I dont know why a fecal float wont show gapeworm eggs. Did they explain why? Do they need a photo of gapeworm eggs? If so, I can provide the photo to you to give to them if needed. I've used Bird Biotic which contains doxycycline and it settles to the bottom in soluble water. Bird Biotic is hard to find right now for some reason, otherwise I wouldve recommended it instead of the capsules. Putting the powder in a treat is a great idea.

It would be best to go ahead and get started with the doxycycline. Then worm your birds anyway even though they wont test for gapeworm and even if the results are negative for other types of roundworms. I agree with tossing the eggs for 30 days. Dont feed them to your chickens since there's residue in the eggs. The hen that I was giving the doxycycline to wasnt laying eggs and after a couple of months I culled her.

I dont know why a fecal float wont show gapeworm eggs. Did they explain why? Do they need a photo of gapeworm eggs? If so, I can provide the photo to you to give to them if needed. I've used Bird Biotic which contains doxycycline and it settles to the bottom in soluble water. Bird Biotic is hard to find right now for some reason, otherwise I wouldve recommended it instead of the capsules. Putting the powder in a treat is a great idea.

It would be best to go ahead and get started with the doxycycline. Then worm your birds anyway even though they wont test for gapeworm and even if the results are negative for other types of roundworms. I agree with tossing the eggs for 30 days. Dont feed them to your chickens since there's residue in the eggs. The hen that I was giving the doxycycline to wasnt laying eggs and after a couple of months I culled her.
@dawg53 I think that would be very helpful if I provided pictures for them. I do realize their knowledge of chickens is vey limited so I will call them today and ask that they please also check for Gapeworm eggs and provide any images you so kindly provide. I was able to find Bird Biotics so I ordered that and it should arrive in 2 days. Thank you for those recommendations and the images! I'm so greatly appreciative of your kindness!!!!

Last edited:
@FloridaFlock 007.JPG 008.JPG

Back
Top Bottom