Where can I purchase oyster shells aequate for quails?

You probably mean adequate. So here is my idea. You probably want smaller particles, so there is a way to do this. Get a 1 or 2 square foot piece of hardware cloth with the appropriate opening size. I think 1/4 inch may be correct. If too large, then get smaller screen openings or just double layer to make smaller openings. Make a frame out of wood, and attach screen to bottom. Screen thru a quantity at a time and separate the smaller pieces that fall thru from the larger that remain on top of screen frame. When you have all of your contents, , take the larger crumble pile and break up with a hammer to make smaller pieces. Screen that pile until you have just the large pieces left. Then just repeat.
50 pounds of oyster shells goes a long way. One bag lasts me about 3 years, or more.

Easiest way is to use hand grinder to process oyster shells into smaller pieces. Works like a charm!
https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Qual...8&qid=1476992055&sr=8-7&keywords=hand+grinder
That thought came across my mind as I have a meat grinder that I use to chop up hard vegetables as well as some small fragments of meat and bone. If I used my grinder to do oyster shell, the blade would get dull quickly. An older model, so no replacement parts would be available. Basically garbage once blades got wasted. The wheat grinder is a different system, but I wonder If a powdery form of oyster shells would be desired. I always give oyster shells to my chickens, and they utilize it as grit as well.
The old school way of crushing it and screening it is fail safe method. I do agree it may be a little slower. Then again, all 50 pounds don't need to be done at once.

Back
Top Bottom