1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where can I send a dead pheasant for autopsy....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by k4eqh, Sep 18, 2013.

1. k4eqh

k4eqh Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2012
    Waterloo, Alabama 35677
    I had a pheasant die this morning from unknown reasons....Is there a place that I can have an autopsey done to
    find out the cause of death. I dont know where to go with this, so mabe someone on here has had the same
    problem and direct me to the best way to handle it.....I have the pheasant in the freezer to hold for future examination.
    Thankx alot in advance.......................t.turner Waterloo, Al.

2. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    You are in Alabama, so check with the state. Maybe the Alabama Department of Public Health. Or maybe a university.

3. samidodamage

samidodamage Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2012
    Northeast Georgia
  4. k4eqh

k4eqh Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2012
    Waterloo, Alabama 35677
    Bullitt - samidodamage - and others.................

Thankyou for the information so far....I have removed her from the freezer, (not frozen) and moved her to a refrigerator in my
    "man cave" and will try and connect with the information provided in a day or two......I am new at this, and have lost a couple of
    birds already to misc conditions, and getting tired of not knowing why......Guess I will have to get with it and get real serious
    about what to do about these type of things. We do not have an averian vet in this area. (nearest publasized on is in Mobile,
    Alabama).....but short of getting a microscope and learning how to do an autopsy. I need to find someone that can recognize
    what the problems are. I HATE loosing my birds when it isnt necessary. It is NEVER necessary. I will find an answer to this
    \problem................Thankx everyone for the help..................t.turner k4eqh

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by