Where did the veins in egg go?!

mlee08

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2015
Illinois
Hello everyone!! I am hatching 2 Pekin duck eggs. One ended up being a yolker and I am left with one that seems promising. I am on day 7 of incubation today and noticed that on day 5 I had a few veins, and now I see none. There is a little dark spot that moves when I turn the egg. I also think I see the air sac. Can anyone tell me what is happening?! I will post a pic from day 5 with veins to today day 7.
Sorry about all the dirt I read on another thread to just leave it be!
[/IMG]

It doesn't look quite right. (I only see one picture, the second one, BTW.)

First, the air sac: comparing that egg's air sac to a sketch in a duck book of what it should look like, it appears that the air sac may be too large.

I candle my eggs for the first time on the seventh day. If it looks like that, it's usually infertile. (Clear except for an air sac and yolk that moves around.) But since you saw veins two days ago...

If it died, you should be seeing a blood ring.

Try this: candle an egg that has not been incubated, just an egg in your fridge (duck egg) and compare it to the one that you are trying to hatch. If it looks the same, it won't hatch.

I always make sure my girls are sitting on at least four eggs. Once I had a girl sitting on five. One was infertile, and the other disappeared about halfway through incubation. I never knew what happened to it. The other three hatched.

I was thinking the same thing, that the air sac looks a bit large for only being day 7! But yes on day 5 and 6 I was able to see veining. I keep trying to post the picture but I am having difficulty. I will try what you said!

Thank you!

Hello everyone!! I am hatching 2 Pekin duck eggs. One ended up being a yolker and I am left with one that seems promising. I am on day 7 of incubation today and noticed that on day 5 I had a few veins, and now I see none. There is a little dark spot that moves when I turn the egg. I also think I see the air sac. Can anyone tell me what is happening?! I will post a pic from day 5 with veins to today day 7.
Sorry about all the dirt I read on another thread to just leave it be!
[/URL]
That one is the day 7 pic? It looks like it's either infertile or early death. If you have very early death like that, the veins will disappear on candling, though you can see the remnants of them sometimes if you open it.

Yes this photo was just taken this morning, day 7 of incubation. There were visible veins and you could even see what someone had called a blood vessel around the yolk. I am not sure what happened since then :(

The picture I just posted is day 5 of incubation. You can see some veins here. And now they are all gone.

The picture I just posted is day 5 of incubation. You can see some veins here. And now they are all gone.
I just don't know. I can see in the last pic what looks like possible very early development, but I can't see any veins regardless how I look at it. The day 5 pic is at a little different angle from the day 7 pic. Are you seeing anything now from any angle when you rotate it?

Disappearing veins typically means the embryo has died. :/ Also, that air cell IS very large for day 7, so that is also not a good sign. I would leave it in the incubator and check again in a few days. Sometimes eggs look funny at times, but will look normal again at the next candling.

Back
Top Bottom