Where did this HOLE come from??!!

Likely started from flystrike, but it sounds like you pulled the egg shell from the Coelimic Cavity, I'm just guessing at some point she laid internally.
The hole is likely leading into the cavity, not the oviduct, cloaca, etc. Could be wrong.

When an egg is laid internally, it travels back up the oviduct (Reverse Peristalsis) and drops into the abdominal cavity (Coelimic cavity). One can find hard shelled, soft shelled, egg yolk, etc. in the cavity when a hen has laid internally.

She may be able to recover if the tissue closes, hard to know.
View attachment 2952196
I think i need to do what you guys said and irrigate it with normal saline to clear it out and hope to let the tissue begin to close.
Likely started from flystrike, but it sounds like you pulled the egg shell from the Coelimic Cavity, I'm just guessing at some point she laid internally.
The hole is likely leading into the cavity, not the oviduct, cloaca, etc. Could be wrong.

When an egg is laid internally, it travels back up the oviduct (Reverse Peristalsis) and drops into the abdominal cavity (Coelimic cavity). One can find hard shelled, soft shelled, egg yolk, etc. in the cavity when a hen has laid internally.

She may be able to recover if the tissue closes, hard to know.
View attachment 2952196
thank you all. it helps me so much to read all this. so here we are now...a week or two or more later. the hole scabbed over and she seemed to be doing better (roosting, moving around, bullying her sisters). then i found her yesterday evening in the egg laying box instead of roosting pole. so i brought her in to keep her from cold. i started her on oral antibiotics again (Amoxil and Tylosin) and her scab came off today as i was washing her, but with it a TON (2 cups?-felt like 3+ though) of fluid (yellow-clear tinged, no oder, slightly slippery) came out of THE HOLE (that is not to be confused with her vent). I think the premature closure of the scab without the healing of the canal caused the fluid to build up and the scab coming off released the fluid build up.

i quit using purple stuff and am using vetrimycin with some hydroshield in it.

I think i need to do what you guys said and irrigate it with normal saline to clear it out and hope to let the tissue begin to close.

I live in Austin, TX. So we've had very warm weather (flies!) with several cold snaps.

Attachments

• IMG_5112.JPG
    IMG_5112.JPG
    550.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5113.JPG
    IMG_5113.JPG
    596.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5114.JPG
    IMG_5114.JPG
    685.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5115.JPG
    IMG_5115.JPG