Where did you get your coop design from?

I looked on BYC pages, saw one I liked and emailed the owner. Turns out he sells the plans, and I decided to buy them, mostly because it had the cutting list which made the whole buying process easier.

I also chose it because it fits my tiny yard, houses just the right number of hens, and can be moved by me like a tractor, which I do.

If I had it to do over I do not think I would have changed much, except to scrounge more- so many construction places throw out wood!

Good luck!

welcome-byc.gif
My ideas for coop design came from BYC.
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
love.gif
caf.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/coopdesigns.html

Last edited:
My neighbor is a good carpenter type - so we enlisted his help making our coop. At some point someone here posted a link with lots of chicken ark pictures - it appears they are from lots of sources (photo quality varies wildly). It took me some doing but I found it:

http://home.centurytel.net/thecitychicken/tractors.html

We had some ideas drawn out but as my neighbor and I started throwing it together it took on a life of it's own. We lined the upstairs coop with a remnant of linoleum we got at Lowe's for $9.00. I tell ya it sure makes cleaning the coop easier (it wipes down in a snap).

This is our current coop - the downstairs run is 4 x 8 ft and 2 ft high. The upstairs coop is 4 x 4 ft and about 3 ft at it's highest point.

P4050741.jpg

Our next coop will be something along the lines of our friend Kim's which I show you here.

P4050734.jpg

We want it to be 7 ft. tall in the front, 10 ft. long, 8 ft wide (front to back) and 5 ft high at the back. The "coop" area will be 10 ft long by 3 ft wide by 3 ft deep - if I did my math right that means the "run" will be 10 ft long by 7 ft high by 5 ft wide... We will have a door for humans to enter on one side and chicken doors on either side that will open into a fenced area - ala the Engineer's Idea

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/silveira44a.html

of having a garden on one side and a run on the other one year, then switching them the following year. This is a really neat idea I got from another thread here yesterday - THANK YOU !!!

Two things to remember:

1) chickens need lots and lots of room - don't pay any attention to ads that say "suitable for X number of chickens" - those numbers are always very high and not pet friendly if you ask me.

2) You will never have "enough" chickens. It's addicting, it's fun, it's heart wrenching to see them grow and play. It's really very addicting. Oh, did I say it's really very addicting ???

Good Luck !!!

Look at all the pictures you can on BYC. I started mine and then looked at the pics. I was basically pot committed when I started seeing better designs. I made it work but it could be better. Also, a lesson I learned...if you plan on putting poultry wire/hardware cloth over a run make sure you do that LAST!! It is very hard to do any rework once the wire is up.

LOVE all the BYC pages of coops, and all the examples of layout for inside areas. Mine is not up yet, and still in the planning stages too! I can build up to 200 sq foot without a building permit, so while the one I'm planning is only 112 sq foot, that's partly based on the spot where I'm putting it. In the future, I hope to add some lower spots for some ducks, and this should be adequate for now, and leave me room for later too.

I'm using 2 of these sets of brackets... http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_13186_13186&issearch=183442 for the overall size of 8x14. Inside will be sectioned off, with the back being for hens with pop door for outside access, middle having some room for draft free brooder area. front for feed storage etc... I may add another 'human' sized door with a pop door IN it for easy access that way too. have a door on both ends might be more efficient for cleaning and access. still deciding that.

Planning on having a nice overhang over the front door area to block rain etc, but that's under discussion still... too far out and I'll need corbels to support it.

I had a friend make fun of me using these brackets, but it's what I'm comfortable with instead of trying to figure out angles etc. I can swing a hammer, and use a power saw, but without someone to confirm my cuts, if they're more complex then 90⁰, "I'M" the chicken!

I have most of the 2x4s cut and stacked in the basement, and am waiting for a break in the weather and some other supplies to start on the next steps.

I don't have any other plan than this, but I have 2 old windows, some stockpiled hardware cloth, a big pile of shingles given to me, and plan on building the nest boxes etc during this winter too, using scraps and found lumber. I can't wait till I can get the bones up so I can get busy working on the inside design. I was at TSC pricing welded wire fencing yesterday.... yeesh!

Wanna have it ready for some springtime peeps!!!

Last edited:
Quote:
I hate me-too posts, but this is how I came up with my 'design'. I researched everything I could find on the web and then found BYC. The suggestions here have helped greatly. I did have a large coop to start with, most of the design ideas here are for smaller buildings, but there's plenty to find here to fit every type coop.

Mine was designed from several online 'plans' put together and modified for my tastes. I took them all and drew up my own plans from them and then started building.

This is how mine ended up...everything but the exterior plywood is recyled materials. The wall shown has a 12"x12" chicken door that swings up, so i can close them up at night. The run (not shown) is 25'x50', and covered with aviary netting.

I live in texas, and i wanted large windows. So, thats what i put in. There are large windows like these on all sides of the coop, with covers of course for the winter. In the summer, there is always a nice cross breeze. There is a door on the other side that i built. Its full sized, with plexiglass.

DSC_2911.jpg

DSC_3175.jpg

The chickens love it. Its plenty big for lots of birds.

The metal roof is installed on top of 'tech shield' decking leftover from our house. With it, the coop is usually cooler inside than outside in teh summer and warmer inside than outside in the winter.

Last edited:
My coop came from the neighbors, it was their sons club house. Took it apart and rebuilt it. Made adjustments from what I have learned on this website, and it's working out great. As long as it's big enough for your chickens, and it's something you like, you can make it work. The chickens won't care. They are put in little coops, big coops, cages and free range and they do fine. Build something that falls in your abilities and resources and most of all "Have Fun" doing it.

Back
Top Bottom