Where did you get your coop from?

equinelyn

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 4, 2011
Southern York County
My father lives in Northern NJ, and he is looking into getting some chickens. Does anybody have any recomendations for a coop that suits about 6 hens? I was suggesting a tractor style for him so he can move it around the yard, he only has about .5 acres. Know any good sites to buy from, or is he better off going locally?

Last edited:
I would look at the stickeys at the top of the page... find one you like and either build it yourself or find someone to build it for you.

You will have lots more options and it will most likely be cheaper.

I converted a horse stall and live on a small acreage farm, so I can't tell you what will be good for .5 acre

I got one of the coops of ebay that many people HATE because they can be rickety and have no wire on the bottom.
Suits me though, it's raised which is perfect for when it floods here. I just reinforced the coop with brackets on the corners and have it sitting on a concrete slab! Never had a problem with predators getting them and it stood up perfectly to a VERY excited golden retriever trying to bash his way in to get the chickens!

Here is a picture the coop I got, I have four bantams in it and free range them, I think two more will be fine though (free ranging). Would be very easy to extend the run too if they were to stay in on a more permanant basis.
http://www.google.com.au/imgres?img...ih=675&gbv=2&tbm=isch&itbs=1&biw=1366&bih=675

But yeah my point is that the cheaper ones can work and look nice, you just need to modify them slightly to make them worthy!

Quote:
Check out my BYC page for pics of my Coop and setup. It came from salvaged materials and "out of my head" ideas I got from reading Organic publications back in B.C. (Before Computers). Some key points to think about are:
Up off the ground to prevent rot of wooden parts. ( mine's on a brick foundation I dug and laid up myself from salvage, I am not a bricklayer)
Roof overhang on all four sides. (again to prevent weathering/rot)
Dirt floor pit composting. (centuries old method, gives you fertilizer for the garden, clean out only once a year, healthier for the chickens, and saves you work)
Pivot the ladder roost. (able to lift up out of the way when needing to work in the coop)
Nest boxes. (about 12" X 12" X 12" should do it, at least one for every four hens---you will get more chickens then you started with)
Water. ( I use a rainwater collection system, there are several options)
Feed. (Plan a strategy to reduce dependence on purchased feed, free range, large run, fruit trees in run like mulberries, apples, persimmons, etc to drop food over a long period.)
Predator Protection. (you will learn everything on the face of the planet wants to kill and/or eat chicken and will be persistent)
Ventilation. (the coop is to protect the chickens from the environment, not kill them by overheating or freezing or predators or unsanitary conditions)

We have two coops. The first we bought plans from GardenEggs.com (you can also buy the coops/tractors) and built. The second is one of those from Ebay.

The GardenEgg coop is well built/designed/ventilated, stays dry inside even in 80 mph winds/rain (yes, we have that and all too often). We had to put in nesting boxes, which for some odd reason are not included in the design, but we just hung a couple on one wall. The attached tractor run quickly became too small and we designed a 10 x 10' detachable run to replace it so that, while it is technically not a 'tractor', it is still movable.

The Ebay house is okay. It gets wet inside, though, and I have had to seal the roof slats with clear caulk. The nesting boxes on one side fell off. The ramp disintegrated. It is what it is, but it's okay, and bigger. The chickens don't complain. We built a 10 x 10' run for this one, too, and move this one as well, although it is not on wheels and is a little harder to move.

deb g

Thanks I never thought to look on ebay. I'm gonna check that out. I can't believe some of the these coops are like $2,600??????
ep.gif

We saved a ton of money and built our own. We had several blueprint plans available from the internet, but opted to build a room in the garage and the run is right outside the side door. We have 8 chicks, but our coop will hold 12-15 very comfortably. Our intent was having only 2 egg laying hens to begin with. Chicken math struck and we have 8. We are planning on breeding our frizzle and keeping a couple of her babies. I'm very happy with our setup, as I can bring in a couple chairs and sit with them.

Be prepared to have a few more chicks then you intended to. They are quite addicting, and there are several breeds to choose from. Also, we have neighbors coming over requesting eggs once they saw our chicken run being built. This we did not expect.

Craigslist might be of help. There are new and used coops available from time to time.

Not sure how North in North Jersey he is, but I am South Jersey (Salem County) last exit on the Turnpike and I found a guy that builds pens and runs. I JUST got my coop last weekend. His basic 6'Lx5'Hx4'W was $220.... I added some "upgrades" (nesting box/2 windows/natural roost bar/ cloth floor runner) and for less than $300 I got this... Best part is I just get to do the fun final touches on it - tyvek, siding, roof, painting, shutters
wink.png
Oh yeah, and add some chicks!

DSC_1570.jpg

DSC_1572.jpg

DSC_1573.jpg

I was able to get it home about 20 country miles not tied down in a full sized bed p/u. Had I taken our landscape trailer I would have taken the interstate, no problem.

I am very happen with my first time coop. If it lasts me a few years and I'm still "down with my peeps" then perhaps we will upgrade to one of those overpriced, overrated $2,600 jobbers......... NOT!
wink.png

Give me a shout if you want the guys info. Might be worth the road trip south
smile.png

GOOD LUCK!!

Back
Top Bottom