Where did you get your rabbits?

I've adopted them from shelters, bought from classified ads when people are rehoming (in that case, originally came from a breeder, then an owner, then me), my childhood dwarf came from a pet store, and I once bought from a 4H family. Hutches are sometimes free on our local classfied websites.

Got all rabbits from breeders. Our hutches came from a few places, three from a feed store, one from a breeder and built the rest. It gets easy to build them once you figure it out!

CYG

There is an old man in my city that is a breeder. I got mine from him about 5 years ago. I bought my initial cage from him but have since received a free hutch and a few free rabbit cages from Craigslist and my Yahoo Freecycle group.

After reading this I have to check out Craigslist for free cages. I had no idea such a thing existed!

CYG

I always get them from a breeder but if your looking for just a pet i would check out shelters im sure their are allot of buns looking for good homes. Allot of time if you attend an ARBA show and someone has a rabbit with either a genetic fault or some of type of DQ they will give it away as pet quality as well. Also at the shows you can find cage suppliers which have EVERYTHING u need and are cheaper than buying from stores like TSC but u can always find awesome deals on cages on craigslist/bookoo.com.

Are you looking for a certain breed?

Humane society - he's a rescue bunny.
smile.png

Humane Society here doesn't do bunnies. I got one of mine from a co-worker who had one dumped on her by her boyfriend's brother's girlfriend (say that 3 times really fast!)
My other bunny came from the $5 feedstore bin a couple months after Easter. The rest of that bunch went to someone's dinner table.

There really aren't many bunnies here for sale, unless you go to a breeder. Most of the ones sold go to either 4-h kids, pets, or dinner table. I know several people who fill their freezers after Easter when the little bunnies from the basket aren't so cute anymore.

I drove 150 miles each way to get them from two different breeders. One breeder I found on Craigslist and the other I met on Homesteading Today.

I bought one bank of cages used from the person who sold me my Colored New Zealands. The other bank of cages, I bought the wire and J clips and my son built the cages for me.

I see used cages on Craigslist, but none of them have looked to be in decent condition. Plus the worry about disease from used cages.

The local Humane Society often has rabbits and that's a great place to get a pet because they are adopted out already neutered.

Back
Top Bottom