Where did you get your rabbits?

I just adopoted 3 rabbit (sisters) on Saturday. I got them from an animal sanctuary.
It's been awhile since I had rabbits, but we still had the large hutch my husband had built for them many years ago. As a matter of fact, this summer when we were building the chicken coop, I used to put the 6 chickens in there during the day.
On Saturday, I had to rehome my 17 week old rooster. I had brought him to live at this animal sanctuary, they had many animals there for adoption. So I figured since I already had the hutch, why not adopt some rabbits. The sisters are 7 months old and have a very sad backround. They are still very shy, I guess it will take a little while for them to trust us. Yesterday we let them hop around the yard for a bit--I think it was the first time ever that their feet touched the grass--they were hopping all around and doing the "HappY Bunny Kick"!
bun.gif

Always get your animals from a breeder or a 4-H kid. If an animal is at a shelter it is more humane to put it down. never get rabbit cages at a feed store, don't build them from wood either, rabbit pee is extremely corosive and will eat through cheap wire and ruin wood. Buy your cages at a rabbit show, thay are better quality. every spring power wassh them and paint them with rustoleum paint. Just my advice as Iv hade more rabbits than most on here.

first we bought a 2 hole hutch off of CL
then we went to the livestock auction and bought 7 bunnies...
then we made some cages
bought some more bunnies
made more cages
sold some bunnies/bought some

we make most of our cages all from wire.

lol

I have bought from breeders mostly.

Most of our rabbits are in a barn in hanging cages.

we have 24 bunnies now and 4 are due to kindle within the next 12 days.
smile.png

guess most here don't have weekly livestock auctions near them? We buy most of our chickens and rabbits at auction and that is how we sell too.

Quote:
?

x2 How do you figure it is more humane to put an animal at the shelter down? This may be true in some cases, such as a fearful dog or a cat that refuses to use the litter box, but the vast majority of pets in shelters have no real issue other than a lack of a home. Most animals, rabbits included, are simply there because their owners got tired or bored of them and didn't want to care for them anymore. Some animals are there because their owners could no longer afford to care for them. I work for a vet that sees pet rabbits regularly (at least a few times a week) and we often see rabbits coming in for a new pet check-up that were adopted from the local shelter. Not one of them has ever had any health problems that we haven't seen in pet rabbits from any other source. In fact, we see fewer cases of cancer in rabbits that have been adopted from the local shelter because they spay and neuter all of their rabbits before adopting them out.

If you are interested in breeding for show, you need to find a good breeder of the breed you are interested in. If you are going to breed just for meat rabbits or just want a few for your freezer, then a rabbit from craigslist might fit the bill, otherwise a breeder would be my first choice there as well. If you just want a pet bunny, my first choice would be to check the local shelter and see if they have any that need a home. After the shelter, a good breeder or 4H kid would be my next choice. Craigslist is an option, but it would be one of my last choices personally.

When I had rabbits, I always made my own hutches. They lasted several years in the elements.

If an animal is in the shelter its there for a reason. Generally they are no good. For example, a hound that is in the shelter will never hunt, that is why it is there. I know from persoanl experience that they wont hunt, dissagre with me if you want but I have more experience with these things tham most on BYC. The responsible thing to do with animals that are low quality and people dont want is to put them down. If they were any good, they wouldnt be at the shelter.

Quote:
that is ridiculous. Most animals are in shelters because people are stupid. I've seen people drop off dogs at the shelter because they bought new furniture. Or because they are having a baby and don't want to deal with a pet. Or thought it was super cute when the puppy jumped on them, never trained otherwise, but suddenly it's not funny when the puppy weighs 70lbs.
Then you have other people who love and trained their pets, but have lost their job. Or lost their home. Some pets belonged to elderly owners who passed away and the family doesn't want them.

Did you know that many agencies have found wonderful detection dogs from local animal shelters?
http://www.rockwallpaws.com/uncateg...shelter-becomes-certified-drug-detection-dog/

http://www.gapdogs.org/dogs.htm

The only true thing about all generalizations is that 99% of them are false.

lorain's fids :

I just adopoted 3 rabbit (sisters) on Saturday. I got them from an animal sanctuary.
It's been awhile since I had rabbits, but we still had the large hutch my husband had built for them many years ago. As a matter of fact, this summer when we were building the chicken coop, I used to put the 6 chickens in there during the day.
On Saturday, I had to rehome my 17 week old rooster. I had brought him to live at this animal sanctuary, they had many animals there for adoption. So I figured since I already had the hutch, why not adopt some rabbits. The sisters are 7 months old and have a very sad backround. They are still very shy, I guess it will take a little while for them to trust us. Yesterday we let them hop around the yard for a bit--I think it was the first time ever that their feet touched the grass--they were hopping all around and doing the "HappY Bunny Kick"!
bun.gif

Good for you! That's wonderful!​

Quote:
I'd appreciate it if you would stop posting birdboy15. To most of the people on here none of what you are saying makes any sense. And I disagree.

Thank you Kuntrygirl! Please people lets keep this clean and on topic!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom