1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where do chickens like to be pet?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mockcherry, Apr 20, 2010.

1. mockcherry

mockcherry Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    NJ
    I tried searching but pet is not a great word to search on so I apologize if this has been posted before. That is assuming they like to be pet. When you're holding them, what gives thema pleasant feeling, lightly rubbing the comb? Under the neck, back of the neck? On the beak. I had a lovebird who liked being pet on the nose. Just curious. Thanks!

2. St-Hubert

St-Hubert Chicken Convert

Apr 6, 2010
    Anniston, AL
    Our three like to be lightly petted along the back, 'scritched' near the tail feathers, and also on the breast area. We have found they sometimes like to be petted on the neck, but not all the time. Petting the head seems to have a varied reaction.
    To clarify, the three we have are about a month and a bit old. We also have two ten-day old Welsummers that are just getting used to being handled more often. So far, they seem to like the petting on the back.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Some of my hens like a soft, gently stroke down their backs. Other like to be scritched gently just under the breast.

4. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    I have an Australorp hen about 1 year old now...she LOVES her legs massaged. She will jump into my lap and scream at me until I massage them. She will even lift her foot so I can rub her little black toes. Freakn spoiled bird.

lastco and smcdermott like this.
  5. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

My 4 wo chicks seem to like to be held close while I whisper to them...they respond with low peeps. The 2 wo chicks scream if I put my hand in their brooder...still working on them [​IMG] . Some of the 6 day old chicks climb into my hand and love to be held close while I talk to them...they also make lil noises back to me.

So far none really have shown a need to be 'petted' like you would a dog or cat or bunny. Our bunnies love to have their faces rubbed...so does one of my cats...to each his own. You will figure out what pleases them...good luck.

Peggy

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  6. mockcherry

mockcherry Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    NJ
    I'm sure they have no need to be petted however, I clearly have a need to pet. LMAO about the leg massages. Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  7. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Agreed. I would love to be able to pet mine for both their and my enjoyment, but even though I'm very slow and gentle, it just un-nerves them.

8. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I play with my roos wattles and rub between them. He seems to enjoy it. Closes his eyes and nearly goes to sleep.

9. Sweet Violet

Sweet Violet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Vista CA
    I have two broody standard cochins and they both love to have me sroke their backs. they just seem to relax, close their eyes and doze off.

10. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Quote:Well who doesn't like a good foot rub?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by