Where do I find female button quail

turningchicken

Songster
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
I have 2 buttons I hatched 10 weeks ago. One is a male because he has a bib and crows and makes the windy growl wanting a female. My other quail is white so I can't tell the sex but there are no eggs.
I live in eastern North Carolina and cannot find a dealer anywhere. I realize I can hatch more eggs in hopes of obtaining a couple of female but that takes time to hatch and mature. In the meantime I have a very lonely male!

turningchicken

Songster
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
Sometimes you can find them in pet stores. Be sure to quarantine any new birds before introducing them.
How long do I quarantine new birds?
I have checked pet stores...craigslist and anything else I could with no luck.

townchicks

Free Ranging
Dec 1, 2016
Contra Costa county, Ca.
How long do I quarantine new birds?
I do at least 4 weeks. Try a wanted ad on Craigs list maybe? You might also check your local animal shelters, sometimes they get odd things come in. All of my 4 doves are from shelters. Good luck. If you think your other quail may be a male, they may fight if you bring in a female. If possible, two girls would be better. Good luck.

turningchicken

Songster
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
I don't do Facebook. My male is getting antsy and does a lot of pacing and calling for a mate.

RGBEverything

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2019
I don't do Facebook. My male is getting antsy and does a lot of pacing and calling for a mate.
yeah i think facebook is a good way to get new birds in my area i get alot of people coming to me for birds so im having to branch out to new areas cuzz 9/10 they probably came from my brood lol. but there maybe some swap meets you can go to. ask your local feed mill or pet store if they know of such a thing go to your local stock yards ask them about birds and such. you can find out alot if you dont want to get onto facebook

turningchicken

Songster
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
Thank you for the info. I can't be sure of the sex of my white button. But there ate no eggs and no mating that I have observed. And I have seen my silver begging for a female. Would you assume the white is a male since it us nearly 11 weeks old?

turningchicken

Songster
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
Thank you for the valuable info. I do think for sure I have 2 males. I checked craigslist last night and found a breeder that lives 5 hours from me. They will sell the female 10 week old for $10 yeah. Then I also messaged The Finch Farm and they MIGHT sell me 2 but with shipping the cost is $130.00. Not sure which I will do.

Top Bottom