Where do I put the thermometer

jss46

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2017
In my incubator I have a digital thermometer/hygrometer and I have it in the middle on the automatic egg turner is that ok and what temp should it be if it is right there

Is your incubator still air or forced air? Because you need a different temperature depending on which it is. For forced air you can put the thermometer anywhere in the incubator and you want the temp to be 99.5 degrees F. For still air you want to put the thermometer on the top of the eggs (I recommend a probe type thermometer for this) and you want the temp to be 101.5 degrees F.

This is really important because if you set the temp for 99.5 in a still air it's too low and your chicks are going to hatch late and you may have other problems related to low temperatures. If you set it for 101.5 in a forced air, that's too high and your chicks are going to hatch too early and you could have other problems related to the temp being too hot.

Last edited:
In my incubator I have a digital thermometer/hygrometer and I have it in the middle on the automatic egg turner is that ok and what temp should it be if it is right there

I am guessing you are in a styrofoam incubator or similar single layer type incubator?? I do use a smaller digital layed/attached on the egg turner with the egg turner plugged in before I add eggs and monitor it for a day after I get the temp set at 99.5. Then I move it over to the side with most of the turners and read what it is there----as long as I leave it there---that's my temp I shoot for every hatch. If yours is forced air of still will have no effect on setting it this way. Now if you layed it on top of the eggs after you get them in--- in a still air incubator it will read a degree or two higher because it is closer to the heat. Good Luck!

Last edited:
It is a still air and I've had it between 102 and 103 degrees

Where are you taking the reading? If you are laying on the turner----you are way to high---easiest way is to say the center of your eggs need to be 99.5 if your thermometer is above that---it should read a little higher----but 102 and 103----as said is to high unless you are above the eggs--then you might be ok. Where are you getting this reading?

Last edited:
Is it too late it's only been like that for a couple days I used to take the reading in the corner but I switched it is there a way to tell if the eggs that have started to form have died due to heat exposure

Back
Top Bottom