Where do they go?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DucksandChicks, Jan 20, 2014.

1. DucksandChicks

DucksandChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    Hi, my children have wanted ducklings forever and they keep asking. They are old enough to do some research and I think we are going to get them. Everything is ok except one thing worries me, where do they go? I made my kids agree that it was for a science project at home. I live in a place where there aren't many farms to give them to. We aren't going to keep them, so when we are done helping them grow and observing them, where should we give them to? I don't know what breed, but they aren't Mallards. Is it okay just to put them in a pond together?:)
    Thanks in advance

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I personally don't think it is good to teach your children that it is ok to raise things as babies and then give them up as adults. I understand this may be some science teaching project. But raising something from infancy and when they are no longer cute and adorable, giving them away is not something I recommend. But that is just me. I am sorry if this sounds negative, but this is how the endless stream of cats and dogs end up on the streets and in shelters.

I suppose you could always butcher them and eat them. The children would also learn where there food comes from. [​IMG]

Good luck in your adventures!

4 people like this.
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Releasing domesticated birds in the wild generally assures that they will be killed by predators or starve. It would be far better to give them to someone who will eat them.

4. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    Why not keep them? (I know that you said that you cant but why not?) [​IMG]

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Unless you have a plan in place for where the birds would go before starting your project, you should not start at all. That would be a valuable lesson for your kids.

1 person likes this.
  6. [​IMG]

As TwoCrows said, I don't think you should get ducklings unless you are going to keep them. Plus, you may get pretty attached to them, so I wouldn't get them unless you are planning to keep 'em! If you are worried that you don't have a pond, you could always just get one of those plastic "pools" they sell at stores and fill it with water.
    God Luck!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

8. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    You don't even need a pool with certain kinds of ducks. I believe that Runners will be totally fine without one :)

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree you wouldn't want kids to think ducks are disposable like toys they have outgrown.

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Agree with everybody else, turning the ducklings out is just going to get them killed or starved to death, not a good lesson to be teaching. If you can't keep them and don't want to butcher and process them yourself, find someone who you can give or sell them to before you get them... it will make a difference what breed you get also, if they are meat ducks or other ducks . You might want to post on your state thread and the Ducks forum if anyone would be interested in them when you have raised them. You could also try the local feed store, they may know people who have ducks or take ducks since many feed stores sell them in the spring. The local 4-H or FFA group or rep might be another place to try, they have duck projects and may know people who will take or process them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by