Where do they go?

DucksandChicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 20, 2014
Chicago, IL
Hi, my children have wanted ducklings forever and they keep asking. They are old enough to do some research and I think we are going to get them. Everything is ok except one thing worries me, where do they go? I made my kids agree that it was for a science project at home. I live in a place where there aren't many farms to give them to. We aren't going to keep them, so when we are done helping them grow and observing them, where should we give them to? I don't know what breed, but they aren't Mallards. Is it okay just to put them in a pond together?:)
Thanks in advance

images

I personally don't think it is good to teach your children that it is ok to raise things as babies and then give them up as adults. I understand this may be some science teaching project. But raising something from infancy and when they are no longer cute and adorable, giving them away is not something I recommend. But that is just me. I am sorry if this sounds negative, but this is how the endless stream of cats and dogs end up on the streets and in shelters.

I suppose you could always butcher them and eat them. The children would also learn where there food comes from.
smile.png

Good luck in your adventures!

Welcome to BYC. Releasing domesticated birds in the wild generally assures that they will be killed by predators or starve. It would be far better to give them to someone who will eat them.

As TwoCrows said, I don't think you should get ducklings unless you are going to keep them. Plus, you may get pretty attached to them, so I wouldn't get them unless you are planning to keep 'em! If you are worried that you don't have a pond, you could always just get one of those plastic "pools" they sell at stores and fill it with water.
God Luck!

[COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] As TwoCrows said, I don't think you should get ducklings unless you are going to keep them. Plus, you may get pretty attached to them, so I wouldn't get them unless you are planning to keep 'em! If you are worried that you don't have a pond, you could always just get one of those plastic "pools" they sell at stores and fill it with water. God Luck!
You don't even need a pool with certain kinds of ducks. I believe that Runners will be totally fine without one :)

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Agree with everybody else, turning the ducklings out is just going to get them killed or starved to death, not a good lesson to be teaching. If you can't keep them and don't want to butcher and process them yourself, find someone who you can give or sell them to before you get them... it will make a difference what breed you get also, if they are meat ducks or other ducks . You might want to post on your state thread and the Ducks forum if anyone would be interested in them when you have raised them. You could also try the local feed store, they may know people who have ducks or take ducks since many feed stores sell them in the spring. The local 4-H or FFA group or rep might be another place to try, they have duck projects and may know people who will take or process them.

Back
Top Bottom