Where do y'all get antibiotics?

Steve,
The bag of duramyacin powder I bought a few days ago has a shelf life through 03/14. Im sure liquids are less than that, but im sure thy are good for a while

Quote:
I thought it would be awhile for the powders, hope I don't jinx our flock but we haven't needed them for awhile. The Sulmet gets used when we put the little guys out on the ground when they are young, we become major poop inspectors then.
smile.png

Steve

I never medicate my birds unless I see a problem pop up. Or if I get new birds and need to quarantine them.

We always keep Terramycin on hand, and try to keep Sulmet too.
Right now I've also got some One-Eye Cold drops, Bird-Pen (penicillin) and Fishzole (for canker) pills. Of course it was all originally for my pigeons, but it can be used for chickens as well. I can probably count the number of times I've had to actually medicate my chickens (besides worming) on one hand.

Terramycin is very weak, for one thing and all but useless for most anything. If something is serious to even need an AB in the first place, then you do not want Terramycin. Secondly, you shouldn't give antibiotics for anything except injuries. Then, injectible penicillin is the best all-round antibiotic and most feedstores carry it and the syringes. I don't even give antibiotics for bumblefoot, just bad injuries.

Best thing to start with is get a copy of the "Chicken health handbook" by Gail Damerrow. It's a very good book that covers feeding, health, internals of the chicken. It has trouble shooting charts. ie the poo is green or yellow possible causes. It doesn't cost that much and is well worth every penny.

i also have a merck vet manual
this book has been a life saver but a heafty price of $49.99 but has paid off many times covers all small animals cattle etc.

Do we have any vets that are BYC'ers?

Are all tetracycline hydrochloride products created equal? We have no feed store here (that carries any meds) and it's nye on to impossible to get a vet to give you ANYTHING without seeing the animal first. Like I have $125 to spend on a 3 doallare bird (plus it goes up on nights, weekends and holidays). The pet store carries soluble meds for treating fish. . .

In my fridge right now/recently (I'm running low on supplies) is:
Terramycin
Bird-Pen (penicillin)
Fish Zole (metronidazole)
Sulmet
Albon (sulfa drug)
Ivermectrin
Permethrin
Wazine (liquid wormer)

Terramycin is my antibiotic of choice for chicks and Sulmet is handy for coccidiosis.

Edit: Hmmm...I just noticed I've already posted in this thread a while back!
lol.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom