Where do you buy your cage materials?

talldarkeyes

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 31, 2011
Lancaster, PA
I am building rabbit-type quail cages but the hardware cloth I bought at Lowes seems flimsy. Where do you buy your cage making materials. I want to stack these but I am unsure how at the moment; suggestions appreciated.

Menards.
big_smile.png

It is galvanized metal but I worry that with a 24X36X14 cage it will sag in the middle. I am planning on stacking them and I want them to be pretty sturdy. I want to avoid wood because of cleanup and odors since I am keeping them indoors.

Question: Is it really cheaper to build your own cages?

Try Building The Inner Frames Out Of Pvc... That Should Give Structure And Stability To Your Hardware Cloth Yet Be Impervious To Moisture And Clean Up Easily... You Can Zip Tie Or Screw Your Hardware Cloth To The Frames

Sorry I Should Say That Hardware Cloth By Itself Isnt Going To Accomplish Your Goal... It Will Need A Frame Of Some Kind.

Rabbit Wire Would Do It And Most Cages You Can Buy Like The 1's I Presume You're Talking About Are Made With That... It's Much Stiffer Material And Will Hold Shape/ Structure. But The Openings Are Usually Too Big To Protect Your Birds From Any Predators... Be It Your House Cat Indoors Or Out, Or Any Number Of Other Critters Outside... So Just Keep That In Mind With Your Design And Intended Uses.

As To Cheaper? If You're Building 1 Maybe 2... Yes Buy Them Cheaper... If You're Building More- No Build Them Cheaper

You could always just buy a rabbit cage and line it with the smaller size wire. I am looking at building one out of 1/2 x 1" and lining it (on the inside) with 1/2 x 1/2.

Quote:
It may depend on what your situation is but I have been using 1"X 1/2" bottom ,tops and side for the last 1 1/2 - 2 years but I trap preds hard not a lot to have to defend against here
smile.png
the only losses I have had was to 1 black snare

Back
Top Bottom