Where do you buy your grit?

I don't buy grit. My birds (chickens and ducks) have access to dirt in a huge run. Actually it's only dirt because the grass has been eaten. When they pick up bugs or spilled feed they also pick up grains of sand so they don't need any commercial grit at all.
For the chicks (8 weeks old now) I dig up a small patch of grass with the roots and dirt still hanging to it and they get their grit from that. They're still enclosed in an outdoor pen that's off the ground but I wanted them to get greens along with their grower pellets.

if they are free ranging and digging in the dirt they are probably getting all the grit they need, im planning of getting mine frow our local nursery, regualar old construction sand works great, and its cheap. also, to awnser an earlier post the fire ants are fine, even my 3 and 4 week olds attack them like crazy, just watch out that they can get away if the hills swarm.

I always have a small bowl of grit available. I let them decide and they do. Sometimes they leave it alone and sometimes they really empty it quick. Mine free range all day somewhere.

35063_grit.jpg

Size used for my girls who are layers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom