1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

where do you get an egg scale?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by iluvsedward, Dec 18, 2010.

1. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    Where would you get an egg scale?
    Thanks!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
  3. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    they also have some really cool older/antique scales on e-bay if you like that avenue.

4. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    Quote:I prefer the ebay route myself, that's where my wife found mine, it's an antique and quite pricey but I think they are worth it. On the other hand the new ones might be more accurate. [​IMG]

5. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

I weigh my eggs on an electronic digital kitchen food scale that has the ability to weigh in both grams and ounces. I weigh them in ounces. I bought the scale 3 years ago on e-bay for $10. I think they're about $14 now for the same one. I use it for everything.

Of course, I'm not weighing eggs to sell or anything like that. We consume all our eggs or share them with family & friends, but that's it. We only get about a dozen eggs a week from our 2 girls that lay (4 freeloaders)... Bertha consistently lays her eggs between 1.9 and 2 ounces, and Lola's eggs have been consistently 2.2 ounces with the occasional 2.3 ouncer.

6. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    We also use a kitchen digital scale but prefer to use grams.We do sell our eggs so need to know how much they weigh.I personally don't see the need to buy a pricey scale that won't work any better than a cheap one...mine has been tested and accurate that's all I care about [​IMG]

7. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    I use one of these. They are commonly found on the internet shopping sites or E-Bay for around $25. It's a Salter 1250:

[​IMG]

8. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    I will look on ebay :)

9. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

I wanted an egg scale when I first got chickens because they were neat, but I could not justify the expensive for something so specialized. Therefore, I have always used a digital kitchen scale like HHandbasket and HBuehler. My husband bought at Bed Bath and Beyond four years ago as a gift for me.

To use, I set an egg cup on the digital scale and zero it out. Then I set the egg in the cup to weigh.
    The sizes for each are:
    per egg:
    Jumbo 2.5 ounces
    Ex. Large 2.25 ounces
    Large 2 ounces
    Medium 1.75 ounces
    Small 1.5 ounces
    Peewee 1.25 ounces

10. patvetzal

patvetzal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Bancroft, Ontario
    My wife just got an older balance beam egg scale for Christmas. It reads in ozs/dozen, from 16 to 30, but most of our eggs are off scale (+30). Looks cool on the windowsill though..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by