Votes: 10 15.2%
  • Hatchery

Votes: 35 53.0%
  • Other (please post)

Votes: 21 31.8%

• Total voters
lol- I hear ya!

What breeds of chickens do you keep?
I've had a mix....started with adult brahma, cochin, wyandotte mixes. Then EE and welsummer. Now have SLW, EE, OE, marans, legbar. All hatchery birds will be gone this fall to focus on marans cock over OE and legbar pullets/hens and their offspring.

Other (please post)

My incubators.:frow
Do you buy eggs online? or get them locally?
I was only brief with my description because I was contributing to your poll.
The mass majority of our birds come from our breeding program. As far as refreshing the bloodlines or new breed introductions, we will purchase a straight run of 1/2 - a full dozen from a local feed store. Which is not that often.
Shipped eggs never. I call them scrambled eggs.:plbb

Benefits of buying chicks local-
All the shipping stress is over before you purchase you selections. I have been a TSC when the shipment arrives on a few occasions. The chicks are stressed out and a few didn't survive the transit. Then they won't sell them for 24 hours (store policy) until they are confident that they will survive the stress.
Also the fact that if you buy local, you can say "I want that particular one" while pointing at the largest and most active ones in the group. Having chicks shipped, the provider is just going to scoop up the quantity you requested dope them up and slap a stamp on the box.
Once your flock is established, if you are like me, it will be few and far having the need to rely on outside parties to provide your future needs. Unless of course you spotted a breed you wish to possess. That's when chicken math begins.

:oldBTW, before you purchase chicks from a feed store, RESEARCH the description of said breed with a photo identification. Unless you want to start another thread implying "TSC mixed up your breeds". It is up to the consumer to pre educated themselves to ensure that they are receiving the breed they are purchasing, not the minimum wage employee whom most likely doesn't own any poultry themselves.

Best regards and good fortune.

I was only brief with my description because I was contributing to your poll.
The mass majority of our birds come from our breeding program. As far as refreshing the bloodlines or new breed introductions, we will purchase a straight run of 1/2 - a full dozen from a local feed store. Which is not that often.
Shipped eggs never. I call them scrambled eggs.:plbb

Benefits of buying chicks local-
All the shipping stress is over before you purchase you selections. I have been a TSC when the shipment arrives on a few occasions. The chicks are stressed out and a few didn't survive the transit. Then they won't sell them for 24 hours (store policy) until they are confident that they will survive the stress.
Also the fact that if you buy local, you can say "I want that particular one" while pointing at the largest and most active ones in the group. Having chicks shipped, the provider is just going to scoop up the quantity you requested dope them up and slap a stamp on the box.
Once your flock is established, if you are like me, it will be few and far having the need to rely on outside parties to provide your future needs. Unless of course you spotted a breed you wish to possess. That's when chicken math begins.

:oldBTW, before you purchase chicks from a feed store, RESEARCH the description of said breed with a photo identification. Unless you want to start another thread implying "TSC mixed up your breeds". It is up to the consumer to pre educated themselves to ensure that they are receiving the breed they are purchasing, not the minimum wage employee whom most likely doesn't own any poultry themselves.

Best regards and good fortune.

Great information and thank you! Am I wrong in assuming that most feed stores are getting their eggs or chicks from a large hatchery? There is something nice about picking out your chicks at the store as well

that is a good mix with a nice plan ahead of you. What has been your favorite breed that you have kept and why?
I don't really have a favorite breed, they are all individuals, and most mine have been crosses. The only pure breed I've had that I really liked was my Welsummer cock, he had a great demeanor. I loved the Light Brahma for their looks, but they can be bossy in the flock and the feed to egg ratio was way off for me.

I don't really have a favorite breed, they are all individuals, and most mine have been crosses. The only pure breed I've had that I really liked was my Welsummer cock, he had a great demeanor. I loved the Light Brahma for their looks, but they can be bossy in the flock and the feed to egg ratio was way off for me.

I had a BSL that the feed ratio was waaay off for me- she just stopped laying in year two and never laid between July-Mar the years prior

should have told me back then something was off with her- oh well- live and learn right?

I had a BSL that the feed ratio was waaay off for me- she just stopped laying in year two and never laid between July-Mar the years prior
That's odd for Black Sex Link.
I've only had one hybrid mix layer, she was a great bird and laid like gangbusters then died at 2-3, but she and the Wellie produced one of my best OE hens now.

Back
Top Bottom