• Breeder

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • Hatchery

Votes: 35 53.0%
  • Other (please post)

Votes: 21 31.8%

• Total voters
Other...
I now have 16 "free birds". Going to raise them out and see what I need to do to improve my situation as far as pens, feeding, runs, predation, etc. I figure it's mean, but better to learn with free birds.

IF I like this chicken thing, I am looking at purchasing heritage Buff Orps and Barred Rocks. Really liking the gentleness of the WO roo.

Other...
I now have 16 "free birds". Going to raise them out and see what I need to do to improve my situation as far as pens, feeding, runs, predation, etc. I figure it's mean, but better to learn with free birds.

IF I like this chicken thing, I am looking at purchasing heritage Buff Orps and Barred Rocks. Really liking the gentleness of the WO roo.

Where would you source the heritage buffs and barred rocks from?

I feel so much more informed on the various means and methods of getting chicks now! Thanks everyone for your help, input and support! I have several options available to me now that I never would have thought was possible a few days ago all thanks to you!

Where would you source the heritage buffs and barred rocks from?

I was going to get the BRs from Fred's Hens from here on the forum several years back. He has a family that raise them here in KY. I had an accident before I could and am really, literally, just getting back on my feet. Since I am back in operational order I came back on to check with him and he hasn't been active in a few years. There was also a member that had BOs from KY on the forum, but I can't remember who.

Check out Fred's BRs, you will be amazed.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/kentucky-barred-rock-enthusiests-please.719992/

So cute Shorty!

Thanks for sharing! How old is the silkie you bred? What other breeds have you gotten from My Pet Chicken? My Pet Chicken is a re seller for other hatcheries correct?

Glad to hear you had a good experience!
Yes. My Silkie is 8 months old I now have another Silkie with chicks 4. I got 26 6 weeks ago. 3 died. I now have Silkies, Polish, Favorellas, Cochin and bantams. I have Jersey giants

When I get myself the heck out of California and to a colder climate, I'd like to get some Buckeyes. They're a heritage breed that was created by a woman in the late 1800s in Ohio, the first woman to do so I believe.

I'm from Ohio, but I also like their cold hardiness and small combs. I think chickens that are good for meat and laying (dual purpose) would be ideal in case I continue to hatch out chicks and need to create a rooster flock.

For now, though, I have Welsummers from a feed store, who got them from that huge hatchery in Arizona. Should I get Buckeyes someday, I'll have to research the different lines and breeders. I'd love to raise and sell them to keep a heritage breed going.

I just got my first 6 chicks around the beginning of March this year. Two of them I got from Orscheln's, and the other four I got from my aunt, and I believe she got hers from some type of farm store. :)
I really wanted chicks from an online hatchery, because they have a bigger variety of beautiful breeds, and breeds I REALLY want, but my mom wouldn't let me order any online. :p The thing I don't like is how they're treated; people treat chicks so roughly, as if they don't have any feelings!
On a lighter note, I kind of wish I could hatch my own birds, too, but no roosters allowed at my house right now. =P

Last edited by a moderator:
Trust me, if I could I would. The very close breeders only have silkies, polish and bantams. I'm not subjecting any of those to my big Berthas so shipping day olds is about my only choice, unless I wanted to hatch again and play rooster roulette lol! Giving away roosters isn't easy.:gig
Hi, your profile says you're in Greenville, SC. Have you seen Egg Well Farm in Lyman? She is NPIP certified and raises a variety of heritage and rare breeds. Personally, I prefer to get chicks from small but experienced breeders and I start with the state NPIP list to find them.

We got all of ours from tractor supply. Past three springs we would go and select 6 of different colors and types because we wanted to see a chicken rainbow when we looked out. First year we got 9 and three were killed by predators. The second group we got last year gave us babies this spring. They are all good layers when they get old enough and look good.

I order from My Pet Chicken. All my babies came in healthy and gorgeous. I am going to start raising my own now. I just had one of my silkies hatchView attachment 1443474 our first baby.
what a gorgeous silkie! did you order eggs to hatch or day old chicks? i want to order from my pet chicken, but read some TERRIBLE reviews on line. i have to order 6 day old chicks for my order to be shipped to Ca. how was your experience? any tips/advice?

Back
Top Bottom