1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where do you get your EEggers from?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by happymorrows, Feb 22, 2011.

1. happymorrows

happymorrows Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Morganton, NC
    I have two from Murray McMurray, but I am trying to stay away from hatcheries. Where else can one acquire an EE pullet?? I just love those little mutts!

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    There are some breeders who auction or sell eggs here all the time. Personally I find hatcheries just fine when looking for EE's, but I have no interest or like in Murray McMurray at all, especially in their EE's.

If you want something truly non-hatchery related though, some of us make Easter Eggers by crossing breeds like true Ameraucana x Jersey Giant or something of those lines. And then, there's the REALLY neat "Olive Eggers," a form of EE that lays dark, rich olive green eggs, especially further generation ones. They're often a cross of French Marans and true Ameraucana, and truly a treat to have in your backyard!

3. happymorrows

Feb 25, 2009
    Morganton, NC
    So basically...build your own Easter Egger :) with better quality birds! I like it!

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I love crossing a Barred Rock over an Ameraucana. Makes some nice barred EEs that lay green eggs. My Riley is one of those. Her mother is one of my blue Ameraucanas:

[​IMG]

5. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I found my EEs on craigslist and the seller was also on here. They were at POL and we didn't know what color they would lay. She hatched them (our EE's hatch mama) and they were a mix of colors, but the person who sold them to her (also on here?) said that the rooster carried the appropriate gene - and apparantly he did. I have aqua, sage, aqua with pale speckles, and light blue!!! I actually know who laid what! She isn't selling any more and had to get rid of her chickens to move. [​IMG] So... I'd just try to get them through here really or locally (that way you don't have to ship)! I was worried about falling in love with cockerals and then having to get rid of them so I just went with pullets. [​IMG] Good luck!!! I love my EEs! [​IMG]

6. happymorrows

Feb 25, 2009
    Morganton, NC
    I actually have a Dominique x EE pullet right now. She is 8 weeks old and doesn't have any muffs yet though which is disappointing. I am hoping she lays blue eggs though. She came from a blue egg, and is barred, very dark wash down the front of her legs.

[​IMG]

This pic is more like at 4-5 weeks old I think, but she is the one on the left. The other is a Dominique x Barred Rock or Buff Orpington cockerel

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by