Where do you keep your brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Fourgirlsoneboy, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Fourgirlsoneboy

Fourgirlsoneboy Pullus Parvus

Aug 16, 2009
    West Virginia
    I was thinking our livingroom for a while, but I just read they shouldn't be in living quarters. Where do/have you keep yours?

2. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    Mine is in my dining room. Works great and the chicks love it because they get lots of attention. They usually stay indoors for bout 6 weeks.

Nobody ever got sick or died from having the brooder inside the house that I'm aware of.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Mine are in the basement and out in the coops. They give off a lot of dander dust so I don't like them right in the main part of my house.

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I have two brooders. One of them is kept in the back bathroom, which is something I would suggest as they do put off a lot of feather / fluff dust. Confining them to a smaller place, means less clean up for you. [​IMG] Once they graduate from the bathroom brooder, them move out to the coop brooder, which is much less messy. [​IMG]

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    In the basement. They DO give off alot of dander and fluff!

6. Kieyamama

Kieyamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    NorCal
    In my living room.

Nothing can be worse than a 3 year old and a Great Dane.

7. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Outside in my chicken shed but my chicks play and not brood so they have a playpen complete with a roost(real tree trunks) from day 1. The walls are removable so as they get a bit older they can have more air circulation..bottom is wire which is covered with bedding,the top is all wire as well as the window in the door.They stay plenty warm and right now during the day need no heat on but at night they have their heat lamps on.

8. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    mine is in the dining room

9. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    The 1st set of chicks I kept in the spare room, but they are way to dusty IMO So the last two batches have been in the garage.

10. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Mine are in the dining room. You know, with the rabbits. [​IMG]

But I don't own a dining room table. I treat that room like my utility room and nobody stays in the brooder longer than two weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by