Where do you keep your brooder?

Mine go in a kidde pool in a shed until they are too big for the pool. Then I cover the floor in shavings and give them the shed until they feather out. Then they go out in a chicken tractor. will

We brood our babies in a couple of large dog crates in a spare bedroom. The dust is terrible but I would be worried sick about them if I had to keep them any further away than the other end of the house... When they reach 4-5 weeks old they go into one of our smaller coops until they're mature enough to go mainstream.

Garage. I ain't the cleanest person in the world, but I have to say, the amount of dust they put off makes me very certain you'll never see me with them in the house.

Be careful on smooth floors, though. My tailbone met the floor at one point because the dust made things so slick. *introduces self to a broom*

We have a box brooder that goes in the corner of the hen house. It has sliding doors to adjust as needed for heat/air circulation and runs on a thermostat. When they outgrow that they have their own partition in the house. After the season is over, we sometimes put them in the greenhouse, first in the box and then right on the ground. They love that, and it seems like they feather out faster outside.

Once though, when we didn't have all that stuff, I'd ordered too many chicks (imagine!) to fit in a tub or box, and we were having a bad cold snap with ice, so put down newspapers, then ran lawn edging around the legs of my old chrome dinette table, filled it with shavings and hung a light under it for a few days. It worked great and the kids ALWAYS remember that - peeps under kitchen table!

I put my chicks and their brooder in their coop from day one.

IMG_0896.jpg
IMG_0887.jpg
IMG_0898.jpg
070409221.jpg

Back
Top Bottom