Where do you keep your brooder?

My new hatch stay in brooders in the house for a couple of days till I'm sure they are eating and drinking well, then they go either to an old camping trailer or an old battery brooder under the elevated house, depending on the weather.

Mine started off in the livingroom yesterday but had to get up and move it into the office and close the door last night.

Hubby couldnt sleep with the cheeping
hu.gif

Will move it back into the living room today. Will keep it inside for a week or two and then look at moving them outside. Cant put them in the shed though as its MUCH to hot out there!

I put my brooder in the coop. I have electricity out there and I made the coop big enough so I could do that. I incubate in the house because that is the only place I can keep the temperatures stable enough, but no way would I try to raise them in the house.

Hubby says "NO!!!! YOU CAN'T KEEP FARM ANIMALS IN THE HOUSE!"
roll.png
So they stay in the garage. I'm going to have to figure something else out though, because the summer heat has been creeping up lately...

Our garage has turned into our brooder house (quail, pheasants, chickens). Can't imagine keeping very many in the house as they stink even if you clean brooders out every day. In hot weather I open the garage windows when I leave for work and those that have heat lamps instead of brooders with thermostats are on timers so the lights go off once it heats up in the garage. I am able to run home at lunchtime and check on them when I think it is necessary. In time we hope to actually build a shed to use as a brooder house and have everything set up on thermostats. Have to save my pennies right now though in order to pay for it.

I keep my incubators in my living room, and 1 in the bedroom.
Close to power is a must.

The best spot will be fairly stable in temps thruought the day.
My house is shaded most of the day, so it stay relatively stable temps in here, not more than about 10-15 degrees flctuation.

The brooders do get stinky quick, and with the warm weather now I plan to brood outside, in the shade of course.

Back
Top Bottom