1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where do you keep your incubators?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by davekrista, Sep 26, 2010.

1. davekrista

davekrista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    I'm in the process of either finding an incubator or building one of the diy ones on this site. Here in MA, no one in my local area seems to sell them at this time of year and I would rather not order one online. I'm still deciding. My friend has a diy one and she has had a lot of success with it. Either way, I can't decide where I want to put it.

Where do you guys keep your incubators? I need to find a spot where my kids won't be trying to open it and where they won't have access to it.

2. Ducklover23

Ducklover23 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2010
    Augusta,Ga
    Almost all hardware & feed stores sell them

3. davekrista

davekrista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    Yes, I have checked the ones in my area and they don't carry them at this time of year. Wont' get any in until spring.

4. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

http://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_listOneCategory.asp?idCategory=29
    They
    have them and ship pretty fast. One thing to consider is how will you keep the ducklings warm in winter until they have feathered in (12 weeks of age). You should always think 4 month ahead from the time you put them into the incubator. I prefer not to incubate in winter.

I keep my incubator in the kitchen, because the temperature is steady in that room and I have the sink right next to it. You don't want it in a room where the temperature fluctuates to much between day in night. For the kids, well you have to deal with them in one or the other way. They need to learn to listen, but that also depends on their ages. Tell them that they kill the eggs, if they mess with the incubator. With candling you will find some dead ones during the incubation anyway. Use that as a scare tactic for the kids. Tell them you will know, when you find some dead ones. You will be surprised how fast they catch on.

5. xxSonja

xxSonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Australia
    My incubators are in the coop with the rest of the flock :p
    when in use they're in a broody pen, safe from disturbences.
    But seriously, if i do need to use my homemade incubator,which is rare, i keep it in the shed in a cupboard (it helps keep temps stable)
    when i have my kid/teenage sisters and brother over i basically have to threaten to rip their arms off if they touch it lol, they know its off limits but curiosity gets the better of them sometimes.

6. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    My incubators are in my bedroom. My bedroom is off limits to my grandson and I love listening to the gentle hum of the fans.

Laurie

7. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    We have a very large cabinet-style incubator we built from scratch and it lives in the dining room. When off duty, it does pretty good as a buffet. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by