Where do you live that permits chickens?

I live in a small village pop. 390. If someone complains then they will send out a letter. The village ordinances say no livestock. They do not specify what is considered livestock. My chickens roam right out in our fenced yard and I have not heard one peep from the village or anyone else about them. Our neighbor across the street has only said that he didn't know chickens could be so tame!
I found out that while there are ordinances on the books about certain dog breeds, the only way that they would be enforced is if you filed a civil suit against your neighbor. Our village won't do it because it would actually cost them money. And right now they are millions in debt trying to comply with Government regs on water and sewage.
I think it does matter who is in charge of your Government. Our Chariman has other things to deal with that are much more serious than whether I have chickens or not.(like how are we going to pay for all the unfunded mandates)

Silverlake, Washington....can have a "reasonable amt"...we are unincorporated Snohomish County, so we can have like 5-6 or so according to the Snohomish County Animal Control people.

I have 9
smile.png

I live in Hesperia, CA. We are allowed 2 chickens per 3,500 sq ft of property and 10% can be roos. For example, a one acre lot is 43,560 sf, so 24 chickens would be allowed with 2 being roos. But, I am on a 1/2 acre with 28 hens and 2 roos and nice neighbors.
wink.png

County lots not far from me (in Phelan, CA) are allowed 99 hens and 1 roo.
hmm.png

Last edited:
Whether or not you can legally keep chickens is not always about what a city will permit, it depends on your local municipality. In my case, I live in a city made up of three townships, two townships allows chickens in residential areas and one does not.

I live in State College PA, home of Penn State University.
State College is comprised of 3 townships: College, Patton, and the Borough. The Borough (the neighborhoods right around the university) and Patton township allow up for 4 hens (no roosters) in residential areas. College Township
supervisors recently voted NOT to allow chickens in residential areas.

An article on the College Township decision is available at:
http://www.centredaily.com/news/local/story/1440491.html

Back
Top Bottom