Where do you live that permits chickens?

I live in DFW, Texas. The particular suburb currently has no rules about chickens. The only time chickens are mentioned in the city code is concerning the fact that you ARE allowed to kill them (makes sense since they are a food source) and that their carcasses can't be left to decay (alrighty then! Will do!!). The rest of the suburbs and Dallas have rules saying that they have to have a proper enclosure, how far they can be from neighbors and +/- restrictions on roosters. There are no outright bans that I've come across though.

Bellevue WA: up to 6 fowl without special restrictions

Redmond WA: no chickens allowed on lots under 1 acre

Woodinville WA: up to 3 chickens on lots under 1/2 acre, more on larger lots

Bothell WA: 3 hens permitted

Kirkland WA: 3 hens permitted on lots under 1 acre

...even within a 20-mile radius, different towns have different laws.

I live in a small town in southern Oklahoma. They said I could have all the chickens I want. I keep 7 pullets. I got rid of my roo because was afraid that my neighbor may complain enough to get city council to change their minds. I hope the law always stays the same. It used to be against the law here. It says no livestock but our city leaders dont consider chickens as livestock just hooved animals. I hope future city leaders read the ordinance the same. I dont mind if the neighbors had calves or whatever but I dont think I would enjoy a feed lot close to me though.

I am just outside of Crown Point, IN - my neighborhood has gradually been changing over from small farms to subdivisions.
Hopefully the devlopment will stop where it is now - just North of me.
When I moved in here 5 years ago, there was one flagged lot - there are now 4 new subdivisions
Zoning laws changed since I moved here so nothing less than 10ac can be sectioned off into multiple homes.
South of the latest area to get built up is mostly small acreages and it looks like people are holding onto them so far.

Zoning laws have also changed re: livestock. It used to be you had to have 3.5ac for the first large animal and an additional acre for each one added. So my 5ac was just legal for my 2 horses.
Now you need 5ac for the first large animal.

Sorry, but I don't know the limitation on poultry. My neighbor immediately to the North of me has about 15-20 hens and 2 roosters. I have 5 pullets.
Several of the others have horses, but I haven't seen other poultry. There is one small hobby beef farmer to the South.

Buckingham County, Virginia.

This is farm country! There are cattle across the road from me, and on the adjacent property. A commercial hog farm down the road.

I can have any amount of chickens that I want, and keep them in any manner that I please. Lucky me! (I'm on 50 acres.)

There is a website online that list many, many municipalities, and their laws pertaining to poultry. Does anyone know the website I'm talking about? That might be helpful. I remember it because I searched my mother's location, in Lexington, KY, which is a reasonably large city, and she was allowed chickens there, although she had to keep them penned. She doesn't have chickens, I just used the info to tease her about giving a rooster to her husband.
big_smile.png

I'll try to find the site so you can search out more places.

I'm in Illinois, too.

They're allowed on lots larger than 1 acre in St. Charles.

Chickens are allowed, but no slaughter, in Chicago.

St. Paul, Minnesota here. New regulations. As many chickens as your neighbors will sign the permit for.
wee.gif
No roosters. Animal control has to OK the living space. Have to have at least 4 square feet per bird.

sandyj

Back
Top Bottom