Where do you order your eggs from?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LukeandAli, Jan 3, 2012.

1. LukeandAli

LukeandAli Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    Carver, Oregon
    I'm trying to find a good place to order hatching eggs from without paying a ton. Most places I've found either charge about $50-100 per dozen or aren't accepting orders right now. I've seen several of your post about placing orders and I'm jealous! I want some Barred Rock Babies! [​IMG]

I'd love it if you'd let me in on your ordering secrets. [​IMG]

Oh, and while we're at it, where's a good place to get an incubator? And what's your brand of choice?

Thanks a TON!!!!

~Ali

2. LukeandAli

Nov 28, 2011
    Carver, Oregon
    * I should have added that I'm still pretty new to this. I checked the BYC store, but, I didn't see any Barred Rock eggs for sale.

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I am building a homemade bator right now. I am also looking for some hatching eggs. It seems like the hatcheries are so expensive!

4. LukeandAli

Nov 28, 2011
    Carver, Oregon
    Agreed! I'm wanting eggs, not human children! [​IMG] Who knew they were so spendy! What does it take to build an incubator?

5. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Quote:Don't look in the store. There is a forum on here for auctions. It's towards the bottom of the main forum page. BYC members sell eggs there.

6. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    Did a search on EBAY( barred rock hatching eggs) they had 9 places selling.I really do not like to have my eggs shipped by mail unless there real cheap or real close.Usually I look through whats selling and what I want that is close enough to drive over and pick them up.Contact the seller through ebay and ask if thats accetable to them(that if you bid and win can you drive over and pick them up and save the shipping)Sometimes its doable some times its not.Sometimes there just too far .But its a shot in the dark and sometimes it works...cva34 And of course one of our BYC folks may contact you with some to sell or share....cva34

7. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

look on the Want To Buy part of the forum, and BYCers sell eggs that are pretty good [​IMG]

8. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    From breeders. Best to get from local but from breeders in particular. [​IMG]

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:x2

I'd never order from hatcheries because the eggs likely are seriously lacking in nutrients from the poor conditions of the parent hens, and because there's no difference vs ordering the hatchery chicks. Also, hatcheries ask higher prices because there's little demand.

Look around for breeders here on BYC, there's a TON of us, and for just about every color of every breed or mutt combo out there [​IMG] Most of us ask normal cheap to moderate prices, depends what you're looking for. Then there's the occasional auctions to look around in here too.

You'll be surprised what ya find, and you'll be surprised that even the higher prices are often totally worth it.

10. anderson1209

anderson1209 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2012
    Hi I'm building a walk in incubator. I have to many eggs and need a bigger one. I'm selling eggs to I have Black Austerlorps,Splash Orpingtons (witch I have alot of questions on) and gold links I'm selling eggs at 6 dollars a dozen plus shipping. Just started to sell on ebay and its going good. Let me know if I can help Thanks Jeremy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by