Where do you purchase quail chicks or fertile eggs?

SFBayArea

Songster
10 Years
Jan 21, 2014
Looking for a reputable place to purchase jumbo brown/wild quail, either live chicks or fertile eggs. I understand that most places online (that I found through google) sell fertile eggs, but most of them are out of eggs for months and prices are super high.
Craigslist is another option, but with craigslist you never know what exactly you are buying. So what do you suggest guys, where did you get your birds?
I live in Atlanta, Georgia.

Thank you.

AJ farms is in Virginia, Kansas City Quail is in Missouri both have JMF lines. I have ordered eggs from both with great results not sure what kind of wait they have right now. Myshire farms is in Ohio, but I know they have a few weeks wait. Hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
Looking for a reputable place to purchase jumbo brown/wild quail, either live chicks or fertile eggs. I understand that most places online (that I found through google) sell fertile eggs, but most of them are out of eggs for months and prices are super high.
Craigslist is another option, but with craigslist you never know what exactly you are buying. So what do you suggest guys, where did you get your birds?

Thank you.
Sandy Soil Farms is in SC. They're currently selling eggs for less than $1 each (not including shipping). They also show earliest shipping as next week. I bought 30 eggs from them last month and received 36 within a week of placing the order. Only 9 hatched (25%), but that may have been my inexperience with incubating. There were several that never started developing, maybe another 25%. The rest died in the shell. I've had 3 deaths in the brooder, so I'll see how the remaining 6 birds do. I'd probably be willing to buy from Sandy Soil again.

I'd take my chances with Craigslist. Start out with three hens and a roo and see if you like raising quail. If you do, get an incubator. You can always refresh genetics through other Craislist sellers later.

Seems that only a few people continue raising them beyond a few batches.

If I sell hatching eggs, I offer to take back any unwanted juveniles (i.e. roos, usually). If you aren't able to cull, you can ask a Craigslist breeder if they'd do the same. You can't do that with eggs shipped from commercial breeders.

You would be surprised how many secret quail breeders there are. You can also ask for names at your local feed store -- they likely have someone they can refer you to.

In your region, I suggest looking at Southwest Gamebirds. Assuming SFBay area is accurate.
JMF line jumbos.
edit: just reread… GA, huh? Look for Blue Ridge. I’ll see if I can find a link.

Sandy Soil Farms is in SC. They're currently selling eggs for less than $1 each (not including shipping). They also show earliest shipping as next week. I bought 30 eggs from them last month and received 36 within a week of placing the order. Only 9 hatched (25%), but that may have been my inexperience with incubating. There were several that never started developing, maybe another 25%. The rest died in the shell. I've had 3 deaths in the brooder, so I'll see how the remaining 6 birds do. I'd probably be willing to buy from Sandy Soil again.
CliftonQuail, sorry your hatch rate wasn't great. Contact us and we will gladly ship replacements to you. You can find all our Contact info here

CliftonQuail, sorry your hatch rate wasn't great. Contact us and we will gladly ship replacements to you. You can find all our Contact info here
I have since discovered that the Govee temp/hygrometers I was using were reading humidity at about 8 - 10% low, so instead of 60ish, humidity was probably almost 80%.
I consider the poor hatch rate to be my fault, and don't blame you at all. I appreciate the offer of replacements and will likely order more eggs from you in the future, but don't believe that you owe me anything at this time.

Thank you.
I just recently bought 30 wild quail eggs from mc murray for a reasonable price considering the fact they are gamebirds. 25/30 of the eggs were fertile and are developing.

Back
Top Bottom