Where Do You Stand With Incubation?

What Do You Support?

• Total voters
Hello,

Yeah...
Some people focus too much of breeding to SOP and,
when they focus too much on the egg layers...

They forget about broody breeds.

-K
Can you give me an example of "too much breeding to the SOP"?

Heritage breeds are often broody. It is the non-SOP sexlinks that make up a large portion of the egg industry and rarely go broody.

Try to help bring back the "old fashion broody hens".
And, the rare breeds are rare for a reason. Am I right?

Some how they didn't breed on. Right?

Those are my beliefs.
-The Angry Hen
Nope. Not because they aren't broody. Breeds come and go in popularity. Some of it is that the heritage birds were turned over in favour of breeds that lay lots of eggs or gain weight fast. It's all about the profit for them.

I'll type up a more thorough explanation in a minute.

Okay, good choice.

I think one of the reasons I like broody more than incubators is:
If you have the fancy rotating incubators...

Will the babies hatch and rotate?
Correct me if I am wrong.

But your idea is perfectly fine!
-The Angry Hen
Rotating? I am afraid I do not understand what you are asking. Are you referring to turning?

I would be very sad if BOs went extinct or very rare
They are not going to. There are many dedicated breeders working with Orpingtons to preserve their qualities which have made them a good backyard breed for so long.

Can you give me an example of "too much breeding to the SOP"?

Heritage breeds are often broody. It is the non-SOP sexlinks that make up a large portion of the egg industry and rarely go broody.

Nope. Not because they aren't broody. Breeds come and go in popularity. Some of it is that the heritage birds were turned over in favour of breeds that lay lots of eggs or gain weight fast. It's all about the profit for them.

I'll type up a more thorough explanation in a minute.

I understand what you mean.

I know, I stated at the top that chicks that were not born under a mother hen can go broody too. (I'm not against it.)

SOP, Standard of Perfection. Right?
Not everything is perfection.

I believe that that is the wrong word, they should not just focus on meat and egg heritage. Half of the time without broody heritage, half the population of chickens/breeds would/might not be here.

-The Angry Hen

Rotating? I am afraid I do not understand what you are asking. Are you referring to turning?

They are not going to. There are many dedicated breeders working with Orpingtons to preserve their qualities which have made them a good backyard breed for so long.

We know BO's won't be extinct... But we do not know what will happen is 15-20 years.

Rotating "turning" what if it rotated and chicks were in it? Does it have a sensor for chicks? I don't think know nor think so.

The new globe ones, that a couple eggs sit on, (a dome kinda incubator) do they have air holes?

-The Angry Hen

We know BO's won't be extinct... But we do not know what will happen is 15-20 years.

Rotating "turning" what if it rotated and chicks were in it? Does it have a sensor for chicks? I don't think know nor think so.

The new globe ones, that a couple eggs sit on, (a dome kinda incubator) do they have air holes?

-The Angry Hen

You do not turn eggs after day 18 of incubation, so there is no danger to the chicks. If you are talking about cabinet incubators, they are moved to a hatcher on day 18.

Globe? Brinsea?
They have air vents, yes. It is necessary for incubation.

I understand what you mean.

I know, I stated at the top that chicks that were not born under a mother hen can go broody too. (I'm not against it.)

SOP, Standard of Perfection. Right?
Not everything is perfection.

I believe that that is the wrong word, they should not just focus on meat and egg heritage. Half of the time without broody heritage, half the population of chickens/breeds would/might not be here.

-The Angry Hen
They are not "just focusing on meat/egg production". A responsible breeder will breed for all the traits that make their breed a breed---this includes personality, and yes, broodiness. I don't think you understand what all breeders select for. I'm not quite sure what your point here is, so I don't think I'm explaining right. Sorry.

They are not "just focusing on meat/egg production". A responsible breeder will breed for all the traits that make their breed a breed---this includes personality, and yes, broodiness. I don't think you understand what all breeders select for.

I am no expert, but I believe what I believe.
Thanks again for the info, I hate to mislead others.

Goodnight.
-The Angry Hen

Back
Top Bottom