Where do you store your eggs?

Quote:
Isnt it really cold in Germany though?
smile.png

I was told that they age much faster on the counter room temp. So I wouldnt go much more than a week

Only cold in the winter LOL. Actually, where my husband comes from the climate is very similar to Western Oregon, where we live now. Not so very hot in the summer; not so very cold in the winter.

I never put mine in the fridge anymore. I, too, was scared of leaving them out at first but you know...listening to experienced chicken folks won me over. Now my neighbor is needing ten doz by the end of Feb. and she is keeping the eggs, as I deliver them to her, on her enclosed back porch that stays around 50 degrees until then.
I quit putting mine in the fridge about 2 months ago. Our house does not get hot inside even in the cold. We use them up within a week or so anyway. You will be able to tell the difference in the taste...much better!!!! Baked items do better with eggs at room temp also. I do not wash my eggs either unless they are for some reason exceptionally dirty then I just rinse them off as I use them. I then rinse the shells and crush them and drop them into the table scrap bowl for the hens.

I keep mine in a basket on my kitchen counter. I have never had any problems and they are so pretty!
jumpy.gif

I have always been told and read that they don’t keep eggs in the refrigerator in Europe...so that is what I have always thought but I am not sure if that is right.
hu.gif

Mitzi

I always put mine right in the fridge because it is all I know. I have never seen eggs on anyones counters, in the fridge they go! But of course I have read all the many post on here about it and do know that in Europe they keep them out,,,,but I can't seem to do it!

idunno.gif

We leave them on the counter until we use them or the pile starts to accumulate, then we load the newest ones into the fridge and use up the older ones.

Now I need to get some egg recipes, because we just aren't using them as fast as the hens are laying them...

I like to leave them on the counter because they're just so nice to look at, but in this 20-40 degree weather, they've been "refrigerated" in the nestbox all day before I can collect them after work. So these days, they go in the fridge. But when the weather is warmer, back on the counter they'll go.

I have a little area on top of the trash compactor that has my open carton of lovely brown eggs displayed with my egg scale and chicken potholders! The eggs cook up much nicer than when I was keeping them in the fridge. They also seem to taste better.

Back
Top Bottom