Where do you store your eggs?

skatcatla

Songster
12 Years
Jun 26, 2007
I've read that eggs can be stored on the counter for days and still be fresh, but I'm having the hardest time with the idea of not keeping them in the fridge! We've kept store -bought eggs in the fridge my whole life, so I just can't seem to bring myself to trust nature.

Do you keep your eggs somewhere besides the fridge? If so, where?

While I do keep mine in the fridge, there are others who will store them at room temp. We went to Costa Rica this summer. When we went to the grocery store the eggs were at the end of an aisle, room temp - not in the refrigerated section.

My boss said when he was growing up (in rural Georgia) they would keep their eggs in the "pie safe". I think that is just a cabinet.
hmm.png

My German MIL kept hers on the counter, I think a lot of Germans do. I have read that, if they will be used fairly soon that that is alright, but a refrigerated egg will keep longer. As I do not yet have fresh, fresh eggs I keep mine refrigerated, not knowing how long they have been sitting around waiting for me to buy them LOL. Maybe when my chickens (which have not themselves yet been hatched LOL) are laying I may make an experiment.

I just watched a video that states that store bought eggs are as much as 45 days old before we even get them in the store. Does that tell you anything?

I keep mine on the counter beause I read that it is perfectly fine, that they are so fresh a few days will not hurt them.

Besides don't we eat them too fast anyway??
smile.png

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Quote:
Isnt it really cold in Germany though?
smile.png

I was told that they age much faster on the counter room temp. So I wouldnt go much more than a week

Nope, Germany's climate is similar to our northern states.

Back
Top Bottom