Where do you store your eggs?

I leave mine in a basket on kitchen counter for up to 2 weeks. Then if they are not used, I'll refigerate the oldest ones and leave the fresher ones on the counter. Now, I'm even leaving them in the nest boxes for a day or two because I have so many inside. Since we moved to the "farm" I don't have anyone to give eggs to like I did before and they are starting to pile up. It's really cold outside, probably much colder than in my fridge and it's cold in our kitchen in this old home even with the heater on. The comments that they taste better if left out is sooooo true. I've tried them both ways. And it's true that store bought eggs can even be months old, rewashed and repackaged with new dates. And it's true that Europeans don't refrigerate much of anything - buy it fresh and use it fresh. Leave them out - there's nothing but wholesomeness in that egg, wrapped in a nice THICK shell, and that doesn't go bad for a long, long time.

You're right about Europeans not using the 'fridge much, but then, have you ever seen one of their refrigerators? Standard size is about as big as a dishwasher:D. When I lived over there I put my eggs in the 'fridge simply because a)I had always done so, and b) they leave them at room temp in the supermarkets as well, and who can say how old they were? I have not yet had the pleasure of having, and using, and storing my very own hens' fresh eggs. Until I do I will continue to refrigerate the ones I buy, even local eggs from the farm stand. I don't worry about getting sick - I would imagine it would be fairly easy to spot a bad egg, once opened - just a wish not to waste anything; not knowing how old they are I don't want to accelerate their demise:D When my girls start to lay (chicks ordered for the end of Feb!) I'll try it both ways, on the recommendation of all the experienced cooks here at BYC;).

Edited to ask: how do I get the smilies to show up AS smilies? I clicked on them to get them into the post, but they don't show up properly? Can anyone advise me?

Last edited:
Orchick--hit your space bar once or twice between smilies. Here is with
lol.png
and here is without:mad: I always hit it twice before and after a smilie to be sure it shows up. Hope that helps?
wink.png

Last edited:
I sometimes keep my eggs in the inside pocket of my barn coat for a few days until I happen to notice they are still there.

Ideally I will not have bumped into anything hard enough to smash them in the meantime. Otherwise Euuuuuuw.

I do not necessarily recommend this as an egg storage strategy however
smile.png

I mostly keep mine in the fridge because things on the counter are apt to get knocked over by rampaging cats, but I do leave them out for up to a week or so if I am out of fridge room.

Pat

That's funny Pat...The other day I was on the way to work
and I reached into my coat pocket for something and pulled out half a dozen eggs. After doing morning chicken duties I forgot to put them on the counter prior to leaving for work.

Oh yea, I have had them bust in there before too... not nice.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom